Bulk ink for Canon CLI-551 and CLI-581

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The user manual for the MP830 doesn't have the disabling of the ink level monitoring. I have the the US version of the on-screen user manual for the MP800. The paragraph about cartridge replacement is the same and no info about disabling the ink level is found

But a little googling found this. Scroll down to Error U 130 and see this:

MP830 U130.jpg

It is not a detailed instruction. I think more detailed instructions were supplied with compatible cartridges without chip. Before the resetter was available this disabling was necessary to use refilled cartridges or after market cartridges with a transferred chip.

Edit: I found a typical chip transfer and ink level disabling instruction here.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
On this and prior generations in the x5x,x7x,and x8x, after the first empty, the printer will give you second chance to continue to print for a few more pages after removal and replacement. After this reprieve, then you will need to disable ink monitoring.
So called permanent chips on these machines are not reset to full but are simply one time use chips that will need to be disabled after they are finished just like an OEM tank.

Distinctions to note.

Setup tanks on the 251 -23-24 grams can be refilled to same. Standard sized tanks are the same as setup tanks in volume.
XL sized tanks ( largest) are delivered with approx 27 grams - refills to 28 grams

Setup tanks on the 271 tanks are delivered with 20-22 grams. Refills to 23-24 grams. Standard sized tanks are delivered to same and refills to same as setups. XL as above.

Setup tanks to 281 tanks are delivered in the 20-22 grans range, Closer to the lower figure at times. Refills to 24 grams. Standard are closer to 20 grams, Refills to 24 grams.
Now notice the distinction, because there is now an XL as well as XXL sized tanks. The XL tank is delivered to 23-24 grams and refills the same. the XL sized tank in the x8x generation is the size of the standard tanks in the two prior generations. The XXL size is delivered with 27 grams and is the same configuration as the prior two generations.

So essentially this is the situation. There are now three sizes available...regular, XL and XXL. The difference between the regular and XL is only that the regular has ink only principally in the sponge, The XL has some ink in the smaller compartment reservoir and shares the same body as the regular tanks as well as setup. The XXL sized tanks has a full reservoir compartment and is the same body as the XL sized tanks in the prior two generations. So Canon was able to create another tank category size for the price conscious consumer.
As best I can tell, there are now three sizes of tanks each separated by 4ml of ink in the x8x generation.
Your setup tanks are much more capable than initially believed.

And there is no reset and not likely to happen.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
On this and prior generations in the x5x,x7x,and x8x, after the first empty, the printer will give you second chance to continue to print for a few more pages after removal and replacement. After this reprieve, then you will need to disable ink monitoring.
So called permanent chips on these machines are not reset to full but are simply one time use chips that will need to be disabled after they are finished just like an OEM tank.
Please tell:
What is '251', '271' and '281'?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A little more detailed:

The 251, 271 and 281 are the North American Dye (CLI-) cartridges of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51, PGI-x70/CLI-x71 and PGI-x80/CLI-x81 cartridge generations.

x is a region dependent number, here is a list of the Canon regions:

Canon regions:
Region 1 for South American and Mexican markets
Region 2 for North American market = US and Canada
Region 3 for Japanese market
Region 4 for Middle East, Russian and African markets
Region 5 for European and Australian markets *)
Region 7 for Asian market
Region 8 for Chinese market
*) With the introduction of the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges Australia and New Zeeland got their own region 6:
PGI-650, CLI-651 C/M/Y/BK/GY

So a cartridge named CLI-581 for use i Europe would be named CLI-281 for use in North America. The cartridges and inks would be identical. Only the label and chip would be different.

The printer type numbers are also region dependent. The North American equivalent of the European printer Canon Pixma iP7250 is Canon Pixma iP7220.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You can read more about the 28x series here
https://www.precisioncolors.com/C6Ec.html
https://www.precisioncolors.com/C6EcReset.html

These 6 tank machines are quite capable photoprinters and to support that function I also made some nice profiles for them to get top notch results.

https://www.precisioncolors.com/C6EcICC.html

So one might be thinking can these replace a Pro-100. To the average and even someone who is not too skilled at critically viewing printed images, they likely will not notice any differences.

Just where are the differences? The linearity in gray ramps is not there like on a Pro-100. For the vast majority of people, they will never notice it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I gotta give you credit for craftily advertising your products outside the Retail Refillers Forum. They will sell. :clap

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What I have coming for the Epson XP15000 is going to be great news. I've defeated Epson in some critical areas!
Well combined with third party firmware, this is a printer to watch!