Brother Printers doesn't need Pigment Inks?

saadman

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
none
printer.JPG

I found this while looking for pigment ink printers for Brother, HP, Canon, Epson, Kodak. Does this mean all Brother Printer are capable of providing the same elements that pigment ink provides using Its own Special "Brother" ink? Please help!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is there any original source, Brother's website whatever for this information, I don't believe it , I had pigments in a genuine black cartridge.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
It could be possible to inject a pigment for an office based canon printer to have a waterproof black in my brother or i will ruin it?

I was considering to insert the mx 870 black pigment ink inside my MFC-J6520DW

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
It could be possible to inject a pigment for an office based canon printer to have a waterproof black in my brother or i will ruin it?

I was considering to insert the mx 870 black pigment ink inside my MFC-J6520DW
First, the Brother printer must also use Pigment Black. If it only has Dye-based then you will most likely clog the print head. Do you know what kind of ink your printer uses?

Second, even if the Brother uses Pigment Black for text, if the Pigment particles are larger than the particles Brother uses then you may clog the print head.

According to Brother:

The black ink in your Innobella LC101BK or LC103BK cartridge is pigment based.

The color ink (cyan, yellow, and magenta) ink in your Innobella LC101C, LC101Y, LC101M, LC103C, LC103Y, and LC103M cartridges are water based.
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/an...the-ink-in-my-lc101/lc103-cartridges-made-of?

So, since the printer uses Pigment Black then it might work or it might clog your print head.

Let us know what happens.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Ooh very very interesting. I thought my MFC-J6520DW was totally dye instead it appears that it has a printhead with pigment for black and dye for colors. Well i already installed a CISS on it and refilled with Inktek ink that everybody thinks is chinese but it isn't, it's Korean and high quality one.

However I'm using in the CISS the dye one because a poor supplier gave me the dye version instead the pigmented one.

Because in the place I am is difficult find a supplier with a clear description of what is going to get if I order again there's an high chance that they will send me again the dye one. I'm considering of using the Inktek pigment black of my MX870. The MX870 have 1pl nozzles while the MFC-J6520DW has 2pl ones. Theoretically speaking what work for the first should work good also on the second one.

(anyways the real problem of this printer is the tray, it's bulky and terrible, it makes hard align the pages properly so that the result are consistent and well registrated front / back)

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
General rule of thumb - you can use Dye-based inks in a Pigment print head but not vice versa (clogs). The quality of the output, though, is in the eye of the beholder.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
I know that, anyways my only need in moving from dye to pigment is to obtain waterproof prints.

Do Brother printers have something like Quiet Mode that I can activate so that it slows down the printhead and then make it cooler?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I know that, anyways my only need in moving from dye to pigment is to obtain waterproof prints.

Do Brother printers have something like Quiet Mode that I can activate so that it slows down the printhead and then make it cooler?
Do you not have a User Manual, the ability to search the printer's app, or Google to look it up?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I once read on this forum that an aftermarket CIS should not be used with pigment ink due to sedimentation.

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
This would be annoying because I can only use CISS also Brother printers use cartridges that are stuck, not on the moving head, they use tubes so the original ink should have the same problem.

I once read on this forum that an aftermarket CIS should not be used with pigment ink due to sedimentation.