Bronzing on glossy photo paper

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have read the comments about bronzing on glossy photo paper when using pigment ink and the use of gloss optimizer, over the last month or so.

As I do not have a Canon Pro 9500 II, I thought I didn't have a printer using pigment ink, until I remembered that my old HP PSC 1610 All-in-One Printer Scanner Copier uses pigment black and dye colours. It is currently re-filled with Canon Black [1020P] Pigment ink by IS from Octoinkjet and an OEM HP dye tri-colour cartridge.

So I printed a Word DOC file, which included a multi colour image, 20 lines of black text and two smaller largely black images.

From other posts relating to the use of dye and pigment inks, I believe the images will be printed using the tri-colour dye inks and the text will use the pigment black.

I printed the file on an A4 sheet of my usual micro-porous 280g glossy paper from PPD (which I believe is discounted Ilford paper), claimed to accept pigment as well as dye inks.
I cannot see a trace of bronzing on the text, so what is all the fuss about?? :hide No doubt someone will tell me what I am doing wrong!!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the explanation might be that pigment inks for text and for photos are different.

The WJ1020 is recommended for BCI-3e and PGI-5 PGBK cartridges and some HP cartridges plus others for text printing. The IS type number for the PGI-9 BK is WJ1158. This ink is only recommended for certain Canon pigment printers. The WJ1020 is recommended for many printers, for text printing.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Emulator. It's not so much the black pigment inks. My black inks are never the problem. It is the Magenta IS inks that are the culprit.
Even OEM Epson magenta is a little bit less glossy than the rest.

If you HP printer had Pigment tri color cart you would be Making a big fuss as well.

Joe

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Peter and Joe

Thanks for both of your comments. I'm not really in a position to explore the subject, but find the problem interesting.

I was hoping we might hear the views of our ink producing experts.

What is the mechanism of bronzing, does the ink form platelets too large to pass through the microporous surface?

Regards

Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
An interesting patent relating to Ilford microporous coated paper, pigment inks etc is at

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6911239

Among a mass of information, it mentions heat sealing (and even laminating) after printing to improve long term protection.