Blue hue when printing black (Canon Pixma iX6850)

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some help.

I recently have noticed that when I'm printing black images, there is a very faint - but noticeable blue hue around the edges (as seen in photo below)

I've taken the printer apart and deep cleaned the printer heads and it's still doing it. Any other suggestions?

For context - I'm printing directly from Adobe Illustrator (it's never been an issue before), and it doesn't matter what paper/ card stock I'm using it happens across the board. Also, this isn't limited to one document - it's happening with them all.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 12.50.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 12.50.59.png
    767.1 KB · Views: 199

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
oh also, I should note - I only got this printer January 2021 - so it's fairly new.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Which driver settings are you using - paper - quality ?

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
For matte coated card, 260gsm - I'll use matte photo paper, and standard quality.

Charlottegr22

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6850
Thank you, I've done that already and I'm waiting for a reply. I didn't know if there would be a quick fix, or something someone could suggest on here in the meantime. I run a small business and the printer going down is a bit of a disaster!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please give it a try - as a test - to print borderless with the matte paper setting, or select a glossy paper instead.
I have seen that Canon on some printers is adding some Cyan to the matte paper black ink, this pigment ink when used alone comes with a brownish hue which gets compensated with a byprint with Cyan. The glossy paper setting uses the photo black instead, as well the borderless option. If this does not lead to a conclusion we should look to the software you use for editing and printing . And you should verify the warranty status of the printer - did you register it for any extended period.?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
For matte coated card, 260gsm - I'll use matte photo paper, and standard quality.
The whole image is effected by a halo including the text..
As you are printing onto a matte surface, try switching the media to plain paper setting, because this cart stock is certainly not photo paper..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder if the problem is caused by the printhead not being properly aligned? You could try doing a printhead alignment. When rotated to the normal orientation it looks to me like the blue is to the top and the left of the logo.