Blame the 3D designer…

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well it had to happen sooner or later when something is not made properly then failure is just one step away, and that’s exactly what happen last night to my 5 Lamps.. It's not nice to admit to failure but hell shit happens..

When putting the reinforcement pole into the centre section, I didn’t anchor it to the concrete base and only relayed on the strength of the column held on with bolts to hold everything up.

When I started the printing I taught (wrongly) that 40% fill would be enough strength for this type of project and clearly it wasn’t, but funny enough I did increase the fill % on the lantern support tubes and they were very successful.

We got hit by a bit of fierce winds (gale force) and heavy rain and I watched the 5 lanterns bounce all over the place and was amazed how well they stood up to the huge gusts, but later the Feckin thing collapsed in a heap when the base structure broke.

Now I know what I know, and will start again but this time use 100% fill on the centre column and 70% on the lantern tubes, and I reckon I may be able to salvage the top section, otherwise it’s a complete whole print again..
She got caught in a North by East wind, right down the driveway the only Feckin spot I didn’t have trees for protection..

Untitled-2.jpg This is where it failed Untitled-1.jpg The Fill %..
Untitled-3.jpg How she fell.. Untitled-4.jpg Very small debris foot print..
Untitled-5.jpg Not much to look at now Untitled-6.jpg FUBARED .. Click to enlarge...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sorry to read this. Those are horrible pictures! Nature can be a real b*tch. :hit

Surprised that the light bulbs did not break.

PS Is anything left standing for Ted to lift a leg on?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Sad news - I hope you get the MK2 design sorted soon.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
Sorry to hear this. TBH I would have been amazed if it had survived a full blown gale. But I'm ready to be amazed when the improved version is installed.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Oh no! Very very sorry to hear about this! I've definitely had PLENTY of similar experiences!

This video was very helpful for me when it came to infill and shells for strength: