Black PGI-520 Black cartridge strange problem

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Those prints look ok, but you shouldn't mix pigment and dye inks. They are incompatible. I've found if the pigment black cartridge is contaminated with dye ink it doesn't flow correctly. Found this out at work when someone decided to try and refill the ink themselves and didn't realize there are two blacks and 50/50 chance they picked dye ink and put it in the pigment cart. Had flow issues for a while until I found out someone tried to refill it with the wrong ink, had to get a new cartridge.

Your nozzle check just looks like there's some clogging. Try a couple deep cleaning cycles and if the stripes return you might need to consider changing ink brands. And the feathering on cheap plain paper is normal in my experience. I use xerox 24 lb paper and no matter what I print it never feathers. Canon seems to be heavy on the ink and if you're used to HP printers they are very stingy on the ink so they can claim long print cartridge life from their tiny carts.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What kind of paper are you using? Some papers don't work with inkjets.

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
Those prints look ok, but you shouldn't mix pigment and dye inks. They are incompatible. I've found if the pigment black cartridge is contaminated with dye ink it doesn't flow correctly. Found this out at work when someone decided to try and refill the ink themselves and didn't realize there are two blacks and 50/50 chance they picked dye ink and put it in the pigment cart. Had flow issues for a while until I found out someone tried to refill it with the wrong ink, had to get a new cartridge.

Your nozzle check just looks like there's some clogging. Try a couple deep cleaning cycles and if the stripes return you might need to consider changing ink brands.
I've tried deep cleaning for many times. Last prints that I've added were printed using a new original cartridge. The problem seems to be in printhead. Also, it is interesting that ink flows on paper more than it should be in spite of white lines . Is it usual when there is a clogging issue in printhead?

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
d1hamby said:
What kind of paper are you using? Some papers don't work with inkjets.
I've two kinds of 80gr A4 plain paper but results are the same.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It's a problem of the ink cartridge. It needs to be purged. The sponge is partially clogged by dried pigments. Print in high quality mode will eliminate the banding on the print but that does not change anything in the sponge. The only way to fix this is to purge your PGI-520 and refill again with fresh ink. Do it soon before it eventually causes your print head clogged too.

With a new OEM PGI-520 you most likely won't have the banding. But this is because the new OEM PGI-520 is not refilled yet and it has no dried pigments inside to clog the sponge. I believe if you refill an empty PGI-520 with OEM ink (it's not available though) you will get banding too.

PGI-520 is supposed to be used for printing black text. It is not for printing graphics. If you have large block of black in your document you should print it in high quality mode to eliminate the banding. If you print a lot of such docs you should print with the printer set to photo paper and use dye inks to print. I had this problem long time ago when I was using Formulabs pigmented black ink. I had to print in high quality mode and it worked just fine.

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
leo8088 said:
It's a problem of the ink cartridge. It needs to be purged. The sponge is partially clogged by dried pigments. Print in high quality mode will eliminate the banding on the print but that does not change anything in the sponge. The only way to fix this is to purge your PGI-520 and refill again with fresh ink. Do it soon before it eventually causes your print head clogged too.

With a new OEM PGI-520 you most likely won't have the banding. But this is because the new OEM PGI-520 is not refilled yet and it has no dried pigments inside to clog the sponge. I believe if you refill an empty PGI-520 with OEM ink (it's not available though) you will get banding too.

PGI-520 is supposed to be used for printing black text. It is not for printing graphics. If you have large block of black in your document you should print it in high quality mode to eliminate the banding. If you print a lot of such docs you should print with the printer set to photo paper and use dye inks to print. I had this problem long time ago when I was using Formulabs pigmented black ink. I had to print in high quality mode and it worked just fine.
Thanks for your reply. I've tried oem cartridge, too. Last prints I've added were printed using a new oem cartridge. The results are similar as you see. In that case, should I try cleanning printhead or the cartridge?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Try Pharmacist's suggestion. Or instead of mixing dye black ink with pigment ink just purge your PGI-520 and refill it with dye black ink. Print the block of black again. Your print head is slightly clogged now. With dye black ink and print black blocks again the dye black ink will blast out the clog. This really works but never do this on other print head channels. Only do this to PGI-520 channel. Don't be afraid of trying it. I have done it a few times and it worked every time. The problem is when you return to refill with the pigmented ink it may happen again. You will need to purge the PGI-520 once in a while.

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your interest. Mixing pigmented and dye black has solved the problem partially. The lines are less noticable and I don't get wet prints now. hope it's solved completely soon.