Black PGI-520 Black cartridge strange problem

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I recently refilled my MP540 cartriges and everythink is OK - no leaking, the color cartridges work perfectly fine but I have a problem with the black pigment one.

I refilled it with pigment ink, I think it's a quality one.

http://i25.tinypic.com/hvcd2f.jpg

I can print text, but when I print something large (like the black rectangle) I get white lines,
They're not always the same I think (the pattern changes).

Also on the nozzle checks I get this result for the black:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2wrkbus.jpg

The little orange dots show that there are white stripes, but these stripes change - they're not on the same place on the next nozzle check.

What could be the problem? Are the nozzles clogged? I cleaned the head 2-3 times and I think I get better results but after that I get the same results.

I found a similar topic here with the same black rectangle shot - and people where saying that this is an ink-flow problem? The head doesn't get enough ink?
Can you give me some advice. In a couple of days I will buy an original Canon cartridge and try again in hope it's OK with it.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Try to mix your pigment ink with 20-25 % dye black, maybe this can improve the flowing properties of your ink. Do you use Inktec pigment ink ?

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, as I mentioned it in other posts.
Ink refilling is not so easy as it seems. :D
Everything is OK with colors, beautiful prints, but this black is on my nerves. Will try your method, hope it does not react and clog something.
10x!!!

Edit: It worked - the results are better. 100x!

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi.

I've similar problem with pigment black. There are white lines when i print something large. Additionally, black areas are wet and so scattered. The ink is fine and the printer is new.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It sounds to me like an ink flow problem. What kind of cartridge are you using? Is it an original Canon or a compatible? Do you refill? If so, what method?

I would suggest that you buy a new Canon cartridge and see if the problem goes away.

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
It sounds to me like an ink flow problem. What kind of cartridge are you using? Is it an original Canon or a compatible? Do you refill? If so, what method?

I would suggest that you buy a new Canon cartridge and see if the problem goes away.
I refill compatible cartridges. They are refillable and they've auto-reset chips.

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A picture on copy paper. I think the cartridge has a problem, but want to be sure about it. Pigment black overflows on paper and comes wet at first. Is it becase of a leaking problem ?

2l888k5.jpg

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Lastly I've tried original cartridge. Wet prints goes on at the same way. When i touch it, it scatters again. It flows more ink than it should do. In conclusin, how can i find and solve the problem?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Personally, I can't see any problem in your picture. Are the arrows pointing to a problem?

I would suggest that you print a page of solid black and show us what that looks like.

When you print on copy paper, are you telling the printer that you are printing on plain paper?

Can_on

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry, arrows are parts of the picture and i print on plain paper. I've added more prints below.

20ho9r8.jpg

28776o.jpg

And it is like the following picture when i touch it.

vpz04j.jpg