Biggest difference between the iP4600 and iP4820

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I was using the printer on Windows 7 x64. I never got this request. I wonder if there was sufficient reaction to revise this. I will take a look at the driver creation date to see what is going on.

About the clear bottom. Yes, there has to be a translucent material for the prism to work. It's going to be a trial and error process and some poking for the German method for these. The window will only tell you when you've already threaded the needle. it won't help because if you've threaded the needle, the 2" needle would go in the full depth anyways, with or without the window. Methinks that the top method might be the better way to go for these if the clearance on the body allows. Look at it this way, I have purged over a hundred times to flush inks out of the CLI-221 when experimenting with ink shades. When I use a storage clip and refill properly, I didn't lose a drop in any one of those purge and refill. The top method will be decidedly faster with these opaque carts and at least you know when it is full. Hey but there is vanilla and there is chocolate and there is democracy and freedom of choice.

Cheers!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
I was using the printer on Windows 7 x64. I never got this request. I wonder if there was sufficient reaction to revise this. I will take a look at the driver creation date to see what is going on.
My guess is that Canon, like Epson have been rather lazy on the driver front with Win7... Part of me wonders if there's issues with the way drivers are handled that made it too much work to invoke on Win7 as well, but if you can choose media/input-tray for printer normally that wouldn't make much sense. Back to laziness I guess...

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
The manual states that it assumes the source for plain paper is the cassette. It states that you can change it to rear tray and when you change the paper source setting, replace all instances of "cassette" in the manual with the new paper source. This should be the way to change the nozzle check to the rear tray.

From the manual:
Setting the Paper Source for Plain Paper
When you select Automatically Select from Paper Source, you can use the printer driver to select the paper source for plain paper.

The procedure for setting the paper source is as follows:

Paper Source Setting for Plain Paper
Open the printer driver setup window

Click Paper Source Setting for Plain Paper on the Maintenance tab

The Paper Source Setting for Plain Paper dialog box opens.

Note
If the printer is off or bi-directional communication is disabled, a message may appear because the computer cannot collect the printer status.
If this happens, click OK to display the most recent settings specified on your computer.

Transmit the settings

Select the paper source for plain paper, and then click the Send button.

The selected settings are enabled hereafter.

Important
The descriptions in the printer manual assume that the plain paper is supplied from the cassette. When you change the paper source setting, replace all instances of "cassette" with the new paper source

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Today I tried it again.
The option to use the cassette or rear tray came up.

Call me stupid, but I phone Canon on this and they confirmed it could not be done.

I did not call until I exhausted the attempts to rear tray in every dialog box except that now I recall that I never rebooted the PC. I imagine for some reason the dialog box did not come up.

In any case, if anyone runs into this situation like I did, then try a reboot after exhausting the attempts. It is possibly a quirk with the OS or something. But that issue is now resolved.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling

Now that youve sorted out the different tray options thing, whats the chances youd stick a single CLI-525 in to your new printer and try it out for us (chip changed first)..;)

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
mikling said:
It's going to be a trial and error process and some poking for the German method for these.
But without a chip resetter ??? Or is that where the A.R.C.'s come in? (auto reset chips)

I'm a refilling newbie with my first inkjet ... a Pro 9000-2 that was basically "thrown" in with a Canon body. Is this what happens each "next generation" of printers?

sbrads

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
iP4700
How's the 4850 compare to the 4600 (and 4700 if known) for the over-zealous cleaning cycle regime. My iP4700 likes to make a load of slurping and pumping noises almost every time I go to print or finish a print.

Stumped2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I too would like to know about the iP4820 cleaning cycle. Sometimes my iP4700 goes on & on & on. This is the 4th Canon printer I've had and each newer one takes longer to clean & start printing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I too have an ip4700 that likes to preen its self every time its turned on.
I have arc chips on my cartridges so the printer automatically thinks the cartridges are newly installed and a complete laundry change is called for.
I have never run this printer on OEM chips so I taught it was one on the reasons I'd get such a large amount of cleaning, not so.
It seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont with these newer printers, but its still a lovely printer ( but not on OEM inks)..