Best way for long term storage of Epson printers

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If you know me, you then also know I have many printers in service both Epson and Canon. You will probably also guess that like a few of us, I can not turn away a good deal, to provide a hood home for an unwanted or neglected printer. Locally I can pretty much find 13" Epson printers for barely any money, that are barely used by folks who purchased them thinking they were instantly going to be able to produce masterpieces,,,,, magically!

So my question relates to the probability that I will end up with at least a pair of the same model.
Is it at all possible to mechanically "Flush" out each of the head channels ( Carefully or course ) with a syringe and tube, using head cleaning solution either commercial or Windex and after all residues of ink are flushed out, can I then store the printer and its cleaned but dried head away till I need to put it back into service?

How different would the condition of that head be from that of a new printer out of the box?
Does that make sense or am simply crazier that I think I am?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Pharmacist's suggestion for storing Canon print heads here .

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The title did stated I was reffering to Epson. Guess I should have specified that in the text.
I am talking about Epson 13 - 17 inch printers such as the Photo stylus 2000 and all the way up the RXXXX series and the Pro 3800. I know what to do when it comes to Canon heads.

Basically I am wondering if it is possible to service said printers till the heads and purge pads are clean and then put them away till they are required again in the future.

Could I load them with a set of "Cleaning" carts filled with the appropriate fluid?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
"No good deed goes unpunished" - Oscar Wilde, The Hat's countryman.

I read the title and the body of your post, jtoolman, before posting. It may translate for Epson, it might not. It's not like there has been a lot of discussion on storing Epson print heads. If there is no good solution to your questions what will you then do? Maybe utilize what this forum has fleshed out over the years in real world experience with Canons? That is the reason I posted what I did, not a confusion over printer manufacturer or idle chatter, but to help you if nothing of significance is posted.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Stratman, please don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the link to the Canon method and I thank you!

I think what I will have to do is to flush out the Epson heads with Inkjetmall ( Cone Inks ) head cleaning fluid as suggested by a friend, clean the purge pads, install cleaning carts loaded with same, and that should allow the storage of Epson printers without any problems. This fluid apparently is good for long term storage of Epson type print heads.

Much better than keeping ink carts in them and guarantee the clog from hell to develop.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
All is good, jtoolman.

Sounds like a reasonable plan as long as long term contact of the Inkjetmall cleaning fluid does not harm plastics or seals. And your thought about keeping carts filled with ink left in the print head sounds spot on. At least one forum member previously reported this was a bad idea if you don't use the printer. (websnail?)

Hope it works out well for you.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
According to their website and the many testimonials it does work out pretty well. Unlike Canon heads, which apparently need to be stored "moist" when one opens up an Epson, I assume it is bone dry right? So If I flush out all ink and follow maybe with distilled H2O ( I have the super pure Lab Grade H2O ) can it realistically be left as is, once it is dried out, or should it be kept wet with cleaning carts left installed?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
jtoolman,

Actually my formula counts for the evaporation of water. Glycerol is very hygroscopic (it absorbs water), so it will always keep the internal cavities of the printhead moist, even after a long time. You just purge once and the cavities will be filled with the solution. Over time the water will gradually evaporate until only the glycerol with some water will stay inside the cavities. The higher the concentration of the glycerol, the better it will resist growth of any microbes.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Is this the formula?

-20% isopropanol
-20% propylene glycol
-distilled water up to 100 %

Glycerol or is the PEG sufficient.
Do Epson Heads need to me kept moist?

Thanks

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Yes it is: use propylene glycol or glycerol. Propylene glycol is slightly better (less thick). Take glycerol if you cannot get propylene glycol. It is better to keep it slightly moist.