Best practices on first-time Pro-100S ink management

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I reckon that a particular site is offering a service tool V 5105 for 29.95$ - claimed to be the latest version, and it would inlcude waste counter resets for the Pro 10(S) and Pro 100(S)

KasperDM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4500,HP Deskjet 1000,
Love reading all your input. Very grateful also for the nuanced perspectives. This is a wonderful community, otherwise the kind of respectful dissent I read through these threads would not be possible.

I think it is a good idea to extend the life of the ink absorbers by minimising the number of purges, as it is not clear if you can enter service mode and reset the ink absorber counter on the PRO-100S.

Sounds like good thinking. When refilling when carts are 'low', will the printer have to do a purge cycle or will it just read the cart as fuller again than it 'thought' it was?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Love reading all your input. Very grateful also for the nuanced perspectives. This is a wonderful community, otherwise the kind of respectful dissent I read through these threads would not be possible.

Sounds like good thinking. When refilling when carts are 'low', will the printer have to do a purge cycle or will it just read the cart as fuller again than it 'thought' it was?

When you refill a cartridge - you can do this at any ink level - you have to reset the chip.
The printer sees it as a new full cartridge.
Everytime you change even one cartridge, the printer purges all.

PK Project Manager

Printer Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've reading a lot of your posts recently, so much wonderful information and experiences, a pleasure to lose oneself in.

I thought it'd might be a good idea to post this question since it might to an interesting overview of different perspectives on ink management.

Two months ago, I got myself a refurbished Pro-100s. Now, after some printing (20 A4, glossy, full colour), the first tanks are getting empty, so I've been wondering what my best next step would be.

I've been looking at octo-ink's, ink-tec's and PC's products, and I'm not looking into advice which would be best, as I greatly respect the work of the different people behind these products.
I'm more interested in your views on how to proceed: do I buy a starter kit? Do I buy just the first one that's emptying out (Grey, in my case), in order to eventually have a second OEM cart set?
How did you all start this part of the life of your printer?
Would love to read of your insights and experiences.

Best, and thanks in advance,
Kasper

Awesome ideas to maximize ink consumption! Congrats on getting featured on the homepage. :)

mgjsmith

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100S
As a newcomer to this forum, I found the discussion here very useful, as I have just embarked on the transition to Octoinks for my 100S. I do have one question arising from my first attempt at cart flushing of an empty set of CLI42 carts today. I have flushed all eight carts but, the two Cyan carts and two Magenta carts still have very slight discolouration in the sponges. I have flushed each several times to the point where the water that is removed is clear, but the sponges remain ever so slightly discoloured. The other four carts are nice and clean. Is it essential to have these carts flushed to a point where the sponges are spotlessly white or, will the introduction of the replacement Octoinks "overpower" the minuscule amount of residual OEM inks that remain. I use Fotospeed papers exclusively with generic profiles and am very pleased with the results.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, mgjsmith.

Octoinks are respected here in the forum as is your Canon Pro 100s.

Sounds like you have done a great job flushing your cartridges. As you have seen, not every cartridge sponge may flush to white. It is not essential to flush all the cartridge to white or even to flush them at all (MAJOR EXCEPTION BELOW) unless you want the best color fidelity from your Octoinks from the start. If you are going to be making your own printer profiles then you would want to flush all the cartridges so no OEM inks remain, or, you would wait a refill or two before making the profile to dilute / use up the OEM ink remaining mixed into the Octoinks.

However, you do not need to flush cartridges at all EXCEPT FOR THE YELLOW.

Canon OEM ink for the Pro 100 line is known to gum up and become a clogging sludge known as YELLO GELLO (so named by our Moderator The Hat) that stops ink flow through and out of the cartridge (ink starvation) and clogging up nozzles in the print head. This occurs when OEM Yellow ink is exposed to enough water (maybe other substances). If refilling, this Yello Gello may form after 4-5 refills if the OEM cartridge is not sufficiently flushed and cleaned before using aftermarket ink.

To make sure you do not experience Yello Gello, either buy a Yello CLI-8 cartridge and swap the chip from your Yellow CLI-42 cartridge OR flush the Yellow cartridge with Windex with Ammonium D (original formula) or similar product, till the sponge is clean and then flush with water. That's all.

Here is The Hat's OEM Yellow cartridge cleaning recommendation. (You do not need to do the step with "pharmacist's solution" which is for reconditioning the sponge)

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...estions-on-cli-251-printers.11587/#post-97508

mgjsmith

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100S
Welcome to the forum, mgjsmith.

Octoinks are respected here in the forum as is your Canon Pro 100s.

Sounds like you have done a great job flushing your cartridges. As you have seen, not every cartridge sponge may flush to white. It is not essential to flush all the cartridge to white or even to flush them at all (MAJOR EXCEPTION BELOW) unless you want the best color fidelity from your Octoinks from the start. If you are going to be making your own printer profiles then you would want to flush all the cartridges so no OEM inks remain, or, you would wait a refill or two before making the profile to dilute / use up the OEM ink remaining mixed into the Octoinks.

However, you do not need to flush cartridges at all EXCEPT FOR THE YELLOW.

Canon OEM ink for the Pro 100 line is known to gum up and become a clogging sludge known as YELLO GELLO (so named by our Moderator The Hat) that stops ink flow through and out of the cartridge (ink starvation) and clogging up nozzles in the print head. This occurs when OEM Yellow ink is exposed to enough water (maybe other substances). If refilling, this Yello Gello may form after 4-5 refills if the OEM cartridge is not sufficiently flushed and cleaned before using aftermarket ink.

To make sure you do not experience Yello Gello, either buy a Yello CLI-8 cartridge and swap the chip from your Yellow CLI-42 cartridge OR flush the Yellow cartridge with Windex with Ammonium D (original formula) or similar product, till the sponge is clean and then flush with water. That's all.

Here is The Hat's OEM Yellow cartridge cleaning recommendation. (You do not need to do the step with "pharmacist's solution" which is for reconditioning the sponge)

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...estions-on-cli-251-printers.11587/#post-97508

Hi, and thanks very much for your reply. After digesting many videos online I am now familiar with what needs to be done with the CLI42/CLI8 swap although I am still plucking up the courage to cut that little chip out and move it across! My concern was more about the impact of the tiny amount of residual colour in the sponges. I think I will now progress with the process of filling the flushed carts and test out the ink set. I understand from the Octoink supplier, that flushing with a small amount of new ink would also help. So, thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated. Martin

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3