Best place to buy cartridges for Canon MX860

austintx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi...newbie here,

I just purchased a Canon MX860 today and need to get some non OEM ink cartridges very soon. I'd love to learn the art of refilling ink, but that will have to wait for another day. In the meantime, I need some recommendations on where I can purchase good quality ink cartridges that won't mess up my new printer. I've purchased from www.4inkjets.com, but now I'm wondering if there are better companies out there. Anyone use Inksell.com? Any good recommendations on reputable companies with good ink cartridges?

I'll be printing photos sometimes and will care about the print quality.

Thanks so much!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Why are you so eager to go with non OEM cartridges? They are never as good as OEM. You have the perfect cartridges right in your printer. If you refill those cartridges as soon as they register low, you can keep them working for a long time. Refilling with the German method and using a chip resetter will take only a couple minutes once you get the hang of it.

The two most recommended ink suppliers for your cartridges in the USA are Hobbicolors and Precision Colors. Now is the time for you to get your supplies and learn how to re-ink your OEM cartridges. You don't need any extra cartridges.

austintx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
"Why are you so eager to go with non OEM cartridges?"
It just seems like it takes a while to get the hang of refilling the ink. I don't even know what a chip resetter is or how to reset the chip, and where would I get a long needled syringe that's required? And, I'm not sure which color versions I'm supposed to get. So, I have a bunch of questions :)

I was told by the sales rep at Best Buy that I could only print about 15 pages with the ink that's included with the MX860, so it sounds like I'll need new ink rather quickly. Thought it would be quicker to buy the non-OEM ink cartridges for now, but I don't know which companies are reputable for that.

Thanks!

IanYY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Unless there has been a very recent change of policy by Canon, the MX860 and all other Canon inkjet printers come with full standard cartridges. If you only get 15 pages from your original cartridges then you will only get 15 pages from your next set, and so on.

I think the salesman has effectively warned you that you will get fewer pages than you might have expected due to Canon's new small cartridges, but "15 pages" - No.

For a better estimate (many hundreds) see ... http://www.canon.co.uk/Images/pixma_pageyields_UK_tcm14-657391.pdf ... the MX860 is on page 7. You will see that the page yield is about 60% of the MX850 which uses the older larger cartridges.

Ian

austintx

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ian, thanks so much for the info...that was so helpful!! i think the sales person was probably trying to get me to buy more ink when i got the printer :) I opened my MX860 printer yesterday and found exactly what you said...full cartridges of ink, which is not what the sales rep had told me.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can print for a while with a full set of ink cartridges but they will not last forever although not only 15 pages. You better plan ahead of time what you are going to do in terms of ink supply. Canon printers are the easiest to refill. But finding quality refill ink supply is also tricky. Forget about 3rd party prefilled compatible cartridges. They will be more trouble than help for your printer. I have been very happy with Hobbicolors refill ink. I have refilled my ip4300 for more than 2 years with perfect result. Your MX860 should be as easy as well.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Leo8088 is right: original Canon cartridges are fare superior to any 3rd party compatible cartridges "period". I refilled several aftermarket cartridges before and the quality was so and so, even known brands like "Pelikan": the sponge material looks like it was cut from the same sponge most housewives are using them to clean the dishes....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
austintx..

You got some very good advice from everyone 0n your request for the Canon MX860. If you follow ghwellsjr link to the German method you will find it very easy once you get the hang of it, not to mention the fun and enjoyment of the whole cartridge thing with the mess and all thats part of it. In the mean time get yourself another set of oem cartridges till your ready to take the leap to refilling, the extra cartridges wont go to waste..
:)

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can't stand to use the German method since you can't reset the chip and monitor the ink levels. Maybe when somebody has a viable chip setter review for the PGI-220 and the CLI-221 cartridges I'll try the German method again.