Before I buy cartridges..

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
So I bought the Canon MG6250 instead of the MG6350. Thank you The Hat for your advise on that. :thumbsup

This model uses 525/526 cartridges. But I've heard that the 520/521 series also fits in this machine. Does the printer simply accept the 520/521 chips or do I have to use the 525/526 chips? These chips also need a different resetter.

The printer came with lightweight cartridges: 38 and 24 grams with orange plug included. Starter carts? If not then I don't need to buy cartridges at all, just bottles...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The PGI-x20/CLIx21 and PGI-x25/CLI-x26 only come in one size, there are no starter and XL versions of these cartridges. Except for the window and the chip the cartridges are identical. The windowed cartridges are easier to refill, and they can be used in a printer intended for the opaque cartridges, if the chips from the opaque cartridges are transferred to the windowed cartridges. You will of course need a resetter for the opaque PGI-525/CLI-526 cartridges.

You find an instruction in chip transfer here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=41631#p41631

The chips are coded for colour among other things, so be careful when transferring chips, not to get them mixed up.

My findings for the weights of a new and unused PGI-520 is 35.3g and for the CLI-521 it is around 20.3g. These weights are without the orange clip and the vent sealing tape.

You don't need to buy new cartridges to get a set of the windowed cartridges, you could search Ebay and Amazon for "virgin empty" cartridges of the PGI-x20/CLI-x21 type. The region of the cartridges doesn't matter, as you will be replacing the chips.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thanks, Peter BJ, that is useful information. I think the weights you have measured are right, my kitchen balance isn't that precise.

Now I only have to decide whether to choose a resetter or a set of ARC chips.
decisions, decisions... :D

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
Goedenavond Lucas,

I suggest to use a resetter. ARC chips will reset with each power on so they are pretty useless for ink level monitoring.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
So don't power down.
Though I do reset some of my Canon OEM chips, I do run ARCs on my PRO 9500 MKII without a problem. They do ink levels and if the power does go out, I will see that the chips are all of a sudden full. If that happens, I top them off. No big deal.

Joe

iaiconjenny

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
So I bought the Canon MG6250 instead of the MG6350. Thank you The Hat for your advise on that. :thumbsup

This model uses 525/526 cartridges. But I've heard that the 520/521 series also fits in this machine. Does the printer simply accept the 520/521 chips or do I have to use the 525/526 chips? These chips also need a different resetter.

The printer came with lightweight cartridges: 38 and 24 grams with orange plug included. Starter carts? If not then I don't need to buy cartridges at all, just bottles...
I think you have to change the chips with 520/521, then it would work...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Lucas 28

You weighed your cartridges with the orange clips, I weighed mine without the clips. The small orange clip weighs 2g and the large orange clip weighs 2.6g.

This makes your results much closer to mine.

A digital scale typically has an accuracy of x% of reading 1 on the last digit, so your kitchen scale isn't that much off, it is just not up to the job of weighing cartridges. A small digital scale with a capacity of 100g and a division of 0.01g is perfect for the job. They are surprisingly accurate and not very expensive. See this: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Digital-Scale-%2d-0.01g-Sensitivity.html?setCurrencyId=2

I would prefer a resetter instead of ARC chips. They are not very expensive: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d526{47}PGI%2d525-Redsetter-[Battery].html or http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Canon-CLI%2d526{47}PGI%2d525-Redsetter-[USB].html . But this is my personal preference.

selluty

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
good idea, the answer as I am looking for.