BCI-6 refillable ink tanks?

rvbuilder2002

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Are empty refillable ink tanks still available?
I used to buy them (and ink) on line but all of my previous suppliers seem to have gone out of business.
Is everyone just buying OEM tanks and refilling them?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I hope everyone is refilling Canon OEM tanks. They are superior to any compatibles. If you don't want to pay the high price of original Canon tanks, you can find several auctions for "empty BCI-6" cartridges in large quantity and small quantity on eBay.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
ghwellsjr is right about the cartridges: always use original Canon carts, because no other aftermarket cartridge is able to rival the quality and ink flow of OEM carts. I almost killed my printhead of my Canon MP780 using el cheapo aftermarket carts and print quality was so and so...

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You could contact Hobbycolors he still sells BCI-6 and BCI-3e cartridges with ink. He would probably sell cartridges separately.
http://myworld.ebay.com/kbay2002
Use the contact member and ask.

I have never had any flow problems with any of his cartridges. I had to replace my Canon OEM BCI-3e cartridges because the ink would not flow after two refills.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I forget something: In case you cannot get BCI-6 cartridges, you can actually use CLI-8 or even CLI-221/521/821 cartridges, because these cartridges are all backwards compatible and all do fit in a BCI-6 based printer.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@pharmacist

Interesting.

Does this mean I can put bigger carts on the ink sucker mp980 (with some mods of the black top cover covering the head+ink carts ?)

Thanks

iP4XXX

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610, Canon iP4200
SpideRMaN said:
Does this mean I can put bigger carts on the ink sucker mp980 (with some mods of the black top cover covering the head+ink carts ?)
Thanks
No, they are backward compatible not forward compatible.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Yes I know but since they are backwards compatable that means that the only difference is the height of the cart (and chip)

they cannot be forward compatible cos they are the latest cart version

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The BCI-6 cartridges are not forward compatible, mainly because they do not have a chip in them.

Also, the PGI-5BK is not backward compatible to the BCI-3eBK. It simply won't stay in place.