Back to top refill method

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
jimbo123 said:
been refilling using hobbicolor inks for nearly 5 years, never purged, never clogged
Same experience here; I've stopped using the German method on my MP750 a month ago when my printer died after printing more than 90k pages and being put to extremely harsh summer conditions for 3 years. In fact the durchstiched cartridges outlived the printer!

Of course I am still using the German method on my MX850 and my iP3300 with the same excellent speed, reliability and cleanliness I've known for the past years since I switched from top refilling, tedious purges and stained fingers.

jondave

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
mike does the OEM hole have to be enlarged for the tapered plugs
The OEM hole has to be enlarged to use mikling's plugs. The plugs sold by octoink are the ones that match the OEM hole.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
mikling said:
When using these type of plugs, the wall, when the ball is removed MUST be perfect. If there are scratches or nicks air can seep through.

NO the holes do not have to be enlarged and as above as I said in #3

This is a totally DIFFERENT plug than the one for the CLI-8 and prior cartridges. There will soon be a THIRD. Each has its pros and cons.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have found that a wooden cocktail stick/toothpick is a good tool to insert and remove these low profile plugs without risking them jumping away.

To remove the plug: insert the cocktail stick in the hole in the plug without piercing the plug and tilt the cocktail stick. To insert the plug: insert the cocktail stick in the plug without piercing it and use the cocktail stick as a handle to insert the plug. Then push the plug down with a finger and apply aluminum tape to keep the plug in place and provide a seal.

Being located in Europe I got my plugs and aluminum tape from Octoinkjet.uk

Here is a picture showing how to use the "tool". click to enlarge:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Neat idea. Too bad hobbicolors plugs don't have a hole, as insertion of their smaller plugs is difficult, particularly if the hole is snug, plus they are hard to hold. For removal, I pry them up with a cuticle trimmer under the silicone "flange". I wish there was a tool to hold the during insertion, as fingers get in the way of the view. Perhaps if I modify the cuticle tool....

Wayne

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Peter/BJ Thanks for toothpick tip I use the same plugs and they are good but tricky to handle, particularly with gloves on.

Jakobsky

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
MP640 said:
I replaced the chips on the transparent 520/521 cartridges with those from the 525/526 cartridges.
Firstly... graat post. Thanks.

When replacing the chips on the 520/521 cartridges with those from 525/526, what chip resettere do I need?
Does it have to be for the 520/521 or 525/526. Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I'd rather make sure what I need to order... before I order...

Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You will need a resetter matching the chips used. So you will need a 525/526 resetter.

Both the printer and the resetter see only the chip. They cannot determine which kind of cartridge the chip is attached to.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Jakobsky said:
MP640 said:
I replaced the chips on the transparent 520/521 cartridges with those from the 525/526 cartridges.
Firstly... graat post. Thanks.

When replacing the chips on the 520/521 cartridges with those from 525/526, what chip resettere do I need?
Does it have to be for the 520/521 or 525/526. Sorry if it is a stupid question, but I'd rather make sure what I need to order... before I order...

Thanks
When you go to use the see through 520/521 cartridges you have to fit the chips from your current 525/526 cartridges
for them to work in your printer, the cartridge can change but the chips have to stay the same.

So order yourself a resetter for your current chips (525/526) and the printer wont know any different ok..:)