Avoiding deep cleaning

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I am storing an MX925 for an indeterminate period. I plan to store the print head using Pharmacist's solution. The instructions are to condition the print head using deep cleaning.

I've had the printer for a while and have executed a deep cleaning cycle more than once. I'm concerned about filling the waste ink container.

I'm considering executing a normal cleaning cycle to force the solution into the print head. Do you think this is at least better than storing the print head dry?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You could avoid using the printer to push solution through the print head by flushing the print head with demineralized water and then either use plastic tubing from the hardware store and a syringe without the needle to push solution through the ink inlet ports. A syringe with the end cut off that fits over the ink inlet ports would work as well as long as a seal can be sustained to push fluid. Another method, using less parts, would be to fill a bowl with solution above the ink inlet ports of the print head and raise and lower the print head in the solution to force solution through the channels. A wadded up paper towel in the bottom of the bowl may facilitate.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You could avoid using the printer to push solution through the print head by flushing the print head with demineralized water and then either use plastic tubing from the hardware store and a syringe without the needle to push solution through the ink inlet ports. A syringe with the end cut off that fits over the ink inlet ports would work as well as long as a seal can be sustained to push fluid. Another method, using less parts, would be to fill a bowl with solution above the ink inlet ports of the print head and raise and lower the print head in the solution to force solution through the channels. A wadded up paper towel in the bottom of the bowl may facilitate.
Thanks. I'll try one of these methods. I can't think of any tubing that would stretch to seal round the elliptical inlet port. Did you have anything in mind?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
One of the simplest ways is to place the print head on a paper tissue and pour the solution into each ink inlet, use sufficient solution to fill each ink compartment and when the tissue gets well soaked, the print head has had enough.

Just place the head in a sealed bag with the moist tissue and store away till needed.
P.S. Don’t forget about the printer, flood the purge pads with the same solution and run one cleaning cycle, without the head in... ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks. I'll try one of these methods. I can't think of any tubing that would stretch to seal round the elliptical inlet port. Did you have anything in mind?
Elliptical? The ink inlet ports should be round and correspond to the ink outlet ports of the cartridges. The two circular areas abut one another, the silicone O-ring helping to form a seal, and ink is thusly transferred from cartridge to print head.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
One of the simplest ways is to place the print head on a paper tissue and pour the solution into each ink inlet, use sufficient solution to fill each ink compartment and when the tissue gets well soaked, the print head has had enough.
How do you know solution has filled or coated every channel?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Elliptical? The ink inlet ports should be round and correspond to the ink outlet ports of the cartridges. The two circular areas abut one another, the silicone O-ring helping to form a seal, and ink is thusly transferred from cartridge to print head.
The ink inlets are circular. The printer is of the PGI-x50/CLIx51 cartridge generation. The ink outlets on the cartridges are oval, but the ink inlets in the print head are circular. This post by mikling has photos showing the ink inlets and also how to remove and insert the print head. This post has photos showing the ink cartridges.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have used car wind shield sprinkler tubing for cleaning Canon print heads. The same method can be used for filling a print head with the preservation fluid. See this post and notice the adapter for the larger pigment black inlet made from heat shrinkable tubing.

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The ink inlets are circular. The printer is of the PGI-x50/CLIx51 cartridge generation. The ink outlets on the cartridges are oval, but the ink inlets in the print head are circular. This post by mikling has photos showing the ink inlets and also how to remove and insert the print head. This post has photos showing the ink cartridges.
Sorry. Temporary moment of confusion here. I had a cartridge in front of me when I posted, the print head was soaking in solution in the garage.
Any idea why Canon changed to oval outlets on the PGI-x50/CLIx51 cartridges?