Artisan 837 Print Quality Issues - Even after nozzle cleaning & alignment

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 5ECE9D (Artisan 837)
837-1.jpg
837-2.jpg

These are detail shots of the test page after running routine maintenance. Brand new Epson cartridges.
Any suggestions?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Mike.

Please print, scan, crop and post your nozzle check.

Do you use OEM Epson cartridges, aftermarket cartridges, or do you refill your own cartridges?

How old are the cartridges or ink?

How frequently do you use the printer? Daily, weekly, monthly, longer?

Can you recall what you were doing around the time this happened? Did the problem appear suddenly or gradually? Is it getting worse, better or same?

Any other issue with the printer? Is there any ink pooling or located where you've not seen it before?

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
The nozzle check sections are below. Each color is a separate photo from the same nozzle check on plain white printer paper (not color corrected)

The cartridges are not OEM Epson (my mistake - wife's printer), but were just delivered yesterday and installed today.

We normally use the printer once or twice a week, maybe twenty pages of text and a 4x6 photo or two.

I don't recall anything out of the ordinary when the problem began manifesting itself a few weeks ago, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

No ink pooling that we can find.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't recall anything out of the ordinary when the problem began manifesting itself a few weeks ago,
Did the problem arise when you began using the aftermarket cartridges?

Did the problem change after installing the new cartridges?

Is that the order of the ink in your nozzle check images? It seems at least the last two on the right have been switched in position.

The nozzle check shows obvious defects on all swaths except for #1 and #4 (going left to right). The affected colors show clogs in various nozzles. What color ink is #4? That is a a near complete loss of ink, either from a massive clog or an electrical malfunction. This could also happen - ink starvation - from an empty ink cartridge or no ink flow through the cartridge for whatever reason. That you inserted a NEW cartridge and the loss of ink in swatch #4 points to the a massive clog or an electrical malfunction in the print head or other electrical board in the printer.

I am a Canon man. Some of the principles overlap with Epson printers. There are a number of Epson folks on the forum who can speak on your issue better than I.

Thanks for your answers to the questions. They will facilitate help. Hang in there.

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
The colors have shifted somewhat in the late afternoon light but are in the correct order: Cyan, Yellow, Light Cyan, Black, Magenta, and Light Magenta.

We've had the printer for years, and have used non-OEM cartridges without a problem until the last few weeks. We noticed that black was the worst, so we replaced that cartridge with the new one today, but obviously that didn't help at all.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
we replaced that cartridge with the new one today, but obviously that didn't help at all.
So the nozzle check above is from a single nozzle check printed since you installed the new cartridges?

in the correct order: Cyan, Yellow, Light Cyan, Black, Magenta, and Light Magenta.
Swath #5 - Magenta - is two-toned vertical striping. The left verticle strip has a Bluish background while the majority verticle stripe has a Yellowish background. This is why I thought you had swapped positions of the 5th and 6th swaths. Is this "normal" Magenta swath appearance?

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Q - So the nozzle check above is from a single nozzle check printed since you installed the new cartridges?
A - Yes, except only the black cartridge was replaced today.

Q - Is this "normal" Magenta swath appearance?
A - I can't say for sure because it's been so long since we did a nozzle check, but it sure looks odd to me too.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the additional info.

it's been so long since we did a nozzle check
Please print a new/current nozzle check, scan, crop and post. It is best to analyze from the most recent information possible.

If you crop the whole image then no need to cut up each individual swath as its own image.

05SpringerMike

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
The nozzle check I uploaded yesterday was done just that morning, after the new black cartridge was installed.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The nozzle check I uploaded yesterday was done just that morning, after the new black cartridge was installed.
Ahh. OK.

Now all you need are one of the Epson gurus to help. :old