Artisan 837 firmware update

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Artisan 837, Samsung CLP-510
I guess I better rethink that. I found a manual for the 800 which seems identical. In section "7.2 Exploded Diagram / Parts List" it has one line; "This manual does not provide exploded diagrams or parts list.":(

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson, and the others, are quite reluctant to tell you how the functionality of their update options. I just think, from own experience, that Epson is reading a Mfg date code from the cartridge chips, and old printer and related driver could even show that data as extended cartridge information which Epson does not any more. Just an example what happened to me, I used a CISS for a long time with an R265, and switched that over into an R285, it got working initially since the R285 was using the same cartridge types. But it was the first time with this model, with the driver that Epson offered a firmware/driver update which I activated and got non-functional/unrecognized cartridges after the update. I checked another CISS in a R265 which showed 6 months younger mfg date codes in the chips, and this CISS was working as well in the R285, after the update. I got similar effects with older cartridges working (or not) in different generations of P50 printers, and other models. For me the only explanation relates to date codes, and the exclusion of old ones. I don't know whether it's 3 years or else, but it's about in that range.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Buying a new timing strip wound not do you any good either, because you’d still have the same problem of refitting it again.

They clean up very easy using a bit of Windex on a paper towel, as all ready mentioned by @Ink stained Fingers and for the hard to get at places use cotton tips (Buds) and a lot of patients.. ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear. I took it out, and put it back in without any major issues. When I tired to clean it it felt sticky. It was like getting 35 mm film wet. I was afraid I might scratch it if I did too much. If I knew I could get a replacement I wouldn't be worried about a little more aggressive cleaning. Unfortunately the manual I found didn't have a parts list.

If I'm going to take it out again I'm wondering If it might be a good idea to clean the sensor as well.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
We have a PX730WD that we ripped the head out of that I don't think we've tossed yet. Happy to let you have the timing strip in return for a donation to MSF..

Will have a root around tomorrow to see if I can locate it for you.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I have no idea what MSF is; Manned Space flight?, Motorcycle Safety Foundation? Mobile Strike Force?:confused: If I were going to replace the timing strip I'd qant to get a new one. Thanks for the offer.

After a month if taking the thing out, cleaning, and reinstalling I'm having serious doubts that this my issue. I think I was mistaken when I said the first cleaning helped. The degree of misalignment I'm seeing changes with each print. I just had a lucky test print.

If this is a dirty timing strip, or a dirty sensor, can someone explain why it only effects the black ink? All the other colors register perfectly.

Sorry for the necropost. I have a laser I can use for most things, but I've started to do more photography lately and I either need to get this printer working, or buy something else.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
MSF = Medecins Sans Frontieres‎ :)

In terms of the alignment, it could simply be ink age. We've seen similar deflection issues with ageing Cyan that had algae starting to develop in it. There's a few posts under my name that mention it in relation to the R300.

Noticed quite a few issues with black, clogging and PX models over the past couple of years though... No closer to understanding the issue properly though unfortunately.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
In terms of the alignment, it could simply be ink age. We've seen similar deflection issues with ageing Cyan that had algae starting to develop in it.

It happened to two printers at about the same time even thought I bought the CIS units from different sellers at different times. I put new aftermarket cartridges in one of the printers it didn't change anything. I just replaced the CIS unit in the other one. It still has the same issue, and only when printing in black.

I can't find any explanation for this particular situation. Epson support said I needed to put in Epson brand cartridges. They wouldn't give me a reason why that would help. At one point I thought Epson might have, updated the firmware and added in some intentional variation in the registration that their OEM cartridges correct for. If that were the case, I'm sure there would be references to it all over the internet. I'm at a loss.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I have an assumption and interpretation how Epson firmware interacts with the cartridge chips.
long time ago - the days of the R265 printer - probably 10 years - the status monitor was not just displaying the ink status in the cartridges but offered an option to display cartridge details - the manufacter Epson or n.a. or something and a mfg date code - a kind of fill date for the cartridges. The R265 was the last unit which did not offer any driver/firmware update via the software. I was and I am using an R265 with a CISS at this time with pigment inks, and was using several other units with dye inks over time, they all printed a lot - thousends of A4 sheets of photos.
I got an R285 as a replacement unit one day and planned to continue using the CISS from the R265, the cartridge types were the same. Since it was the first time I saw this option I allowed a firmware/driver update after installation. I installed a CISS, and it did not work - cartridges rejected with the typical notifications, I installed another CISS previously used in an R265 - that one worked . why ? I went back with both CISS , placed them back into an R265, both worked, and I read out the mfg date code of the chips - they were several years older than the R285 since used for years in the R265, and the one with the newer date codes was the CISS which worked in the R285. I didn't actually use those old CISS in the R285 since from this model onwards a special hardware reset was necessary for the chips - with a reset button, battery - various types of constructions. And I have seen at this time that the date codes of the CISS cartridges were not all the same - they differed by 3 months.
And supporting this idea was another experience with some other printer models, I don't know anymore what it was. Epson is using the same type of cartridges over several generations of printer models. I was using something like a D120, with 3rd party cartridges and put the original ones aside and forgot them. I got a S20, and S21 afterwards using the same cartridge types, installed those old cartridges and they worked, I allowed a firmware update, and they got blocked, I very much assume that Epson is blinding out datecodes older than X years older than the current firmware version, these D120 cartridges were probably 3-5 years older than the S21. And I remember a notice by a cartridge supplier that a particular type would work with Epson printers x,y,z but not with the newest model A yet because the cartridges in stock would not have the latest 'date code' yet, and new cartridges of this same type would be available in a few weeks. So I think Epson is blocking particular old mfg date codes via firmware, and is updating this date limit via the firmware update function. The mfg date code is not visible on the cartridge outside, it may be coded into some
cryptic labeling of the packaging, and 3rd party cartridge suppliers don't show any date codes either.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think Epson is blocking particular old mfg date codes via firmware, and is updating this date limit via the firmware update function. The mfg date code is not visible on the cartridge outside, it may be coded into some
cryptic labeling of the packaging, and 3rd party cartridge suppliers don't show any date codes either.

I don't doubt it. At one point an Epson support person told me that if the Epson brand cartridge I used had been sitting on a shelf too long it would not work. I would be a very simple thing for Epson to embed a date code in the cartridge.

I think you posted something similar in your last post. That was why I decided to get the new CIS unit. I did occasionally see a Cartridge not recognized error with the old CIS. A reset always fixed it though. I was hoping the new CIS would have a new chips set that might work.

My problem is not that the cartridge isn't recognized. It is that the print quality is degraded.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There are so many different cartridge types in the field, and in some cases even different generations of chips for the same cartridge which makes it difficult to make general conclusions anyway. But your point is a degraded print quality - what is it - what is different - missing nozzles - wrong colors ?