Artisan 837 firmware update

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Artisan 837, Samsung CLP-510
I have 2 Epson Artisan 837 printers that have been working with CIS systems for several years. This fall they both started having the same problem at the same time. I first noticed bands of fuzzy text running horizontally across the page. Further investigation showed that it was a horizontal registration issue. A fine vertical on the page prints as 1 to 3 lines that will gradually shift apart and back together as the printer moves through the page.

Epson say I need to use Epson brand cartridges. Is it possible Epson introduced a registration error as part of a firmware update?

I can't seem to find a way to check what firmware version is installed or when it was last updated. I seem to recall setting the driver not to install updates. Unfortunately these are networked printers. I am not sure update was turned off on all the computers that print to them.

I need to know:
  • Has anyone has seen this issue before?
  • Would original Epson cartridges fix this?
  • How to check the firmware version?
  • How to avoid automatic firmware updates?
  • Can I get a new CIS system that will work?
Any computers that would use these printers would be running Windows 7, or Windows 10.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I wouldn't think that this is a firmware issue, and genuine cartridges would not fix that as the frist attempt to resolve it. Firmware updates can be disabled in the driver settings, you probably accepted them during driver installation, it's sometimes hidden behind another question whether you agree to let your system transmit usage data to Epson as a kind of customer satisfaction/improvement program. And it's most likely not a CIS issue either. The firmware version is typically printed onto the the nozzle check, something like CY3XC7 or other
cryptic code. You can use the routine WICReset, the status report tells you the firmware version and other usage details. The printers don't update themselves, a firmware update is pushed via the driver, sometimes Epson does not update the firmware but the driver itself. WICReset can downgrade the firmware of a range of Epson printers, against a charge if that is becoming really necessary. The WICReset documentation is listing the printers for which such downgrade is available.

Please post a scan showing the problem, the nozzle check or part of a printed text or whatever. Don't upload a scan of a complete page but a cropped section showing the problem more clearly.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
"I wouldn't think that this is a firmware issue..."
The only reason I thought of firmware was that it hit both printers at pretty much the same time. It could be coincidence.

"Firmware updates can be disabled in the driver settings, you probably accepted them during driver installation, it's sometimes hidden behind another question whether you agree to let your system transmit usage data to Epson as a kind of customer satisfaction/improvement program."
I found some instructions in a manual for the printer. They say "Right-click the product icon in the Windows taskbar, then select auto update settings". Unfortunately I don't have any Epson icon in my taskbar, and I don't know how else to access the settings. I was hoping someone could at least tell me which of the dozen programs Epson installed that I should be looking in.

The nozzle check looks perfect. No gaps that I can see. The the numbers at the top are WB15D3 QP100A73.

I had heard of WICReset. From what I could tell that only talked about printers that did not recognize cartridges. All of the discussions I saw were several years old though. I didn't want to go down that path until I knew what firmware I had, and got a recommendation from someone more knowledgeable than I am. If you think it will help I'll give it a try.

Below is the scan you asked for.

Attachments

• Test Sheet003.jpg
    Test Sheet003.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 434

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Your scan is very helpful, that is a registration error from a misalignment of the printhead when printing bidirectionally. Normally you do such alignment only once at setup, but it happens with many printers, Canons as well, that the ink fog in the print room deposits onto the positioning stripe which runs across the print width and is read by a sensor at the back of the printhead carriage, and the fine markings on this stripe become less readable with time. You can clean it, with a piece of kitchen paper , wetted with a window cleaner, and cautiously wiped off. Sometimes it's a little bit tricky to get access there. To free up the printhead carriage you power up the printer, and as soon as the printhead starts moving you pull the power cord, and it easily can be moved from left to right. Clean that stripe and redo the printhead alignment from the driver on the utility tab. And there should be another pad for the software/firmware updates, but this is not a firmware issue at all.
WICReset via 2manuals.com is frequently updated for the newer Epson models and will show you some printer usage data , for free, counter resets and firmware downgrades are charged.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It would be most unwise to upgrade your firmware, just for the sake of it when your printer has been working for years without one, invoking a firmware upgrade can cause all sorts of repercussions that you would never expect, so avoid it all costs, it’s just not worth it..

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
That sounds about right. I tried blowing the positioning strip and sensor off with canned air. I'll try wiping it instead.

I got the print carriage out of the way with your helpful instructions. You weren't kidding when you said it might be difficult to get at. There is a plastic cover that blocks access to almost everything under the scanner unit. It looks like if I could pull that off the positioning strip cloud be easily cleaned or replaced. You wouldn't have a source for disassembly instructions for this printer? It looks like I would need to remove the scanner assembly first. No luck searching for how to do that yet.

There is a spring on one end of the strip, and a hook on the other. Would it be a very bad idea to grab the hook end with a pair of forceps, and take the whole strip out to clean it? I included a couple of photos I hope explains what I have in mind.
DSCN0753.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 461

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I took out the coding strip a few times myself, but would not just advise anybody to do it like that. You need proper tools and some dexterity to do it, taking off the strip is the easier part, but placing it again into the same position may be a bigger challenge including to get it through the sensor again. And different printers have a different level of complexity , easier access at some printers than at multifunctional units, there is no general advise possible, with some products it is possible to unhook the scanning mechanism etc. So if you think you have the tools and the capability to get the stripe back again take the challenge but consider that action carefully. You may consult a service manual first, there is a separate thread running for this http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...post-them-here-sticky.5071/page-19#post-87288 and you may find a link for your model via the search function of the forum. And there is a gray market for such manuals against charge like web sites as 2manuals.com and other.
You may try something else, as a test, Epson drivers typically have an option on the extended options tab called 'quick' printing which actually en/disables the bidirectional printing. Disabling it will slow down printing, but probably would show some better definition of the letter edges. That is not a fix for the problem , the ink residue won't go away, but the print quality can improve , as a temporary measure.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
It would be most unwise to upgrade your firmware, just for the sake of it when your printer has been working for years without one, invoking a firmware upgrade can cause all sorts of repercussions that you would never expect, so avoid it all costs, it’s just not worth it..

I understand the issues and have no plans to upgrade. I would be interested to know what firmware versions have problems with after market ink cartridges and cis systems. If anyone publishes a list I would love to see it.

There was a related issue I was still wondering about. If the driver is what pushes a the firmware update to the printer, does this have to be done from a USB connection? If a network connected computer can push a firmware update I need to check all the computers that use the printers.

Droidling

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I took out the coding strip a few times myself, but would not just advise anybody to do it like that. You need proper tools and some dexterity to do it, taking off the strip is the easier part, but placing it again into the same position may be a bigger challenge including to get it through the sensor again....

I'm of the ilk that believes you don't really own something until you take it apart and put it back together again. I went ahead and tried it. It was a bit fussy getting it back in, but I don't give up easily.

It seems to work better, but not perfect. If I could order the replacement stripe, that would be my preference. I'll be looking through the link you posted to try to uncover a service manual. That should at least get me a part number.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Buying a new timing strip wound not do you any good either, because you’d still have the same problem of refitting it again.

They clean up very easy using a bit of Windex on a paper towel, as all ready mentioned by @Ink stained Fingers and for the hard to get at places use cotton tips (Buds) and a lot of patients.. ;)