Artisan 810 does not recognize carts only when all 6 in

Grist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 810, Canon i950
Hello All - It recognizes each individual cart, until all 6 are installed, then none. Bought self-resetting refillables recently. Started by replacing 1 OEM when it got low, worked fine. The recognition problem began when I tried installing all 6 refillables. Now it won't even recognize 6 new OEMs. Was also cleaning head around this time, too, which involved removing and soaking in cleaner, using syringe to push and pull cleaner through the head, and running with a few carts replaced by refillables filled with cleaner. Got all that done, then problem began. Have tried the uninstall, unplug, wait an hour, reinstall trick. Any ideas? Great tool when it works. Hate to trash it. Thanks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
This is completely normal: most aftermarket (auto reset) cartridges can only work in pair, not mixed up with full/half empty OEM carts. It is nothing or everything.

Grist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the reply, Pharmacist. Unfortunately, neither only refillables nor only OEMS works.

akramjef

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson p50 printer
if the printer is unable to recognize OEM and NON-OEM cartridges ,the problem is probably in the CSIC Assy. of the print head . in this case it is either bad contact or failure of the CSIC. so either remove it and check the points for dirt or ink residue, if you cannot remove it use COLD AIR hair dryer to dry this area ( fluid remain during print head cleaning which you perform) .if it is not improved then the possibility of CSIC failure is higher.
(is there any error massage appear , this will help to recognize the cause).
also check the FFC of the print head if it is properly connected and secured.
good luck.

Last edited:

Grist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Akramjef - Yeah, sounds about right. I was hoping it was a known issue with a simpler solution, but I guess I'll have to take it apart. No, there's no other error msg. I have the service manual, and will check the connector and contacts. It might be a while before I get to it, but I'll let you know. Let the tinkering begin!

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I realize this is a month and a half late but I just ran into this problem again yesterday. Last time I had to buy a replacement contact for my light cyan cartridge but this time I just had to clean it off and it is being recognized and printing again. Hope you were able to get yours running.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon Epson are playing funny buggers with the cartridge chips and we’ll see far more of this unrecognised carts syndrome for next year, so Epson owners, don’t whatever you do upgrade your firmware or print drivers, if you wish to have continuity with your current compatible carts...

Grist

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I realize this is a month and a half late but I just ran into this problem again yesterday. Last time I had to buy a replacement contact for my light cyan cartridge but this time I just had to clean it off and it is being recognized and printing again. Hope you were able to get yours running.

Annel- I'm glad you were able to find such a simple solution. Thanks for asking about mine, and giving me a reason to update my status.

I've taken it apart, and see nothing obvious. But I'm heartened by a method that's worked for Websnail, on a different Epson model, that I'd like to try when I get it back together again:

"For whatever reason, we finally got the printer to accept the cartridges by going with a routine that installed one cartridge at a time (closing the cartridge bay between each) but in a non linear order.

"Unfortunately because we were trying everything I didn't make a note of the order we put the "successful" cartridge insertion in, but I believe we ended with the two carts that were showing as problematic which seemed to be Magenta and Light Magenta more than anything else.

"Basically, try removing all the cartridges and then insert them in different orders, closing the cover between each insertion.

"If you can, make a note of the orders that don't work to avoid repeating yourself.

"It's a bit random but we only found out because it made no sense that the OEM's were being refused too."

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/please-help-epson-1400-cannot-recognize-ink-cartridges.8233/

At the moment, I'm stalled on an unrelated problem, because of time and learning how to proceed with it. Details, for anyone interested:

The first time I set about to clean the printhead by soaking it in warm cleaner and distilled water, I naively disconnected the ink supply tubes from the printhead. I've since learned this is a no-no without first "decompressing" the ink supply. Otherwise, ink will come out, and might get into the "decompression" tube, in the same bundle, and cause problems printing. The approved method of decompressing seems to be only available using the Adjustment Program, which I do not have, and don't know how to get ahold of. I'd like to clean out the decompression tube now, if it needs it, to save time. So, I need to improvise a method of decompressing the system without the Program, and find out if there's channels inside the printhead related to decompression that I need to clean out as well.

Or, I could put it back together to see if the one-cartridge-at-a-time-method works first, then go back to the other only if necessary. But it's a pain to take apart, so I'm likely to continue the way I have been. I should have more time to tackle it in the coming weeks.

If anyone has any ideas related to anything here, including how to stop Epson updates in Windows 10, I'd appreciate it as always. Other than "buy a new printer"! I'm not quite there yet.

Happy Holidays, all!

Last edited:

Latest posts