Artisan 800 cartridges - cost per page, per photo,

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Firstly, I want to mention that mikling and his company Precison Colors are really amazing. He did spend like 3-4 hours with me on the phone just explaining things that would've taken me weeks of research to understand. His inks are at an amazing price, and his knowledge level is outstanding. Also, I don't feel like he's ever tried to squeeze money out of me which is more than I can say of the many CISS/bulk ink online retailers - not that they are all greedy.

It was from his advice that I actually bought the printer in the first place --> and he's the one who pointed out the deal on bestbuy.

I probably saved a good $300-$400 just on equipment and shipping and handling through him. I don't think its necessary to calculate the enormity of how much I will save from his inks --> but I'll do it anyways just to get a kick out of it - :D

You're the best mikling!

You paid $30 for 6x4ozs. Not $40. Also you got a free black CISS line and fitting so that you can add the single line into the 800 without modifying the printer and throwing out your 4 year warranty you paid extra for.
Yeah sorry - :S - that was an error of mine, I was a little unsure how the pricing went --> the website says $39, I should probably look at the eBay site instead. Also I didn't see the extra small black you gave me - I thought I was just paying for the 8oz black --> thanks!

The refillables have the similar external volume and has the complete volume available internally.Got it?
I fully understand that, you even explained it on the eBay page --> I was actually referring to the use of the original cartridges that came with the printer --> which I believe are half-full or "low capacity". That's why I'm so happy I got this many prints considering I'm using low capacity cartridges and still have ink left in the originals. I haven't had to use the refillables yet.

As soon as you use bulk inks, the cost of ink becomes negligible and actually become a fraction of the cost of media most times.
I did the math for the kick of it - it's more for the fun of knowing how much I am saving than anything else.

If my math is correct, 100% of an 8.5x11 page should run a little under 7 cents per page with your inks - amazing! This is actually an overestimate because I calculated this with the original "low-capacity" cartridges --> my math converts from cartridge to volume which is why I mention cartridges. I tried to extrapolate or estimate how much the cost would be if I calculated using a high capacity cartridge (refillables) and it goes down to as low as 5 cents per 100% full 8.5x11 full photo page.

The flyers I used covered about 56% of the page which is why I got such a high yield with the originals I think. For text --> assuming that text covers 5% of the page --> each page should cost 1/3 of a cent - :D --> again this is an overestimate based on low capacity cartridges!

The above costs are not including the price of paper, as the paper depends on what you want to do. Also I mostly printed half and half in Standard/Best (they look almost the same on multipurpose paper).

How much cheaper do you want it???????????
I'm completely satisfied with everything - I just wanted to show and tell. Thanks mikling for everything, and sorry for bothering you with so many questions! I know how annoying it is to help a noob do anything - I've fixed so many computers/routers/networks over the phone and through forums - thanks for persevering with me!

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
No it does not, nor do original cartridges if banding occasionally happens and a cleaning cycle -thus priming- is necessary to remove the clogging. But the automatic priming after installing new cartridges is reduced significantly.

The other alternative is using refillable cartridges. BUT: sooner or later the greatest problem is the waste ink absorption pad below the printer which will be saturated very soon, forcing you to have it professionally exchanged and pay for it and pay for it quite hefty.
Also, I want to mention that with the Artisan 800, there is a setting called "Automatic Head Maintenance" that is turned on by default on the printer. If you are printing something everyday then I think its safe to turn this off. It's basically a counter, and wastes a lot of ink that gets soaked up by the waste pad.

On some forums users mention a significant decrease in the consumption of ink when this setting is turned off.

You can access it through the touch screen interface --> Setup--> Maintenance -> 2nd page you'll find "Automatic Head Maintenance".

riddickk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Were Do U Drill A Hole In Cartridrige To Refill Ink In A T0996 For A Epson Artisan 830 Series

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There's no need in cleaning the waste pads - you need to set up a waste ink tank on your printer. Look up online, there are many guides on how to install one for the Artisan 800 printer. I have an artisan 50 printer, and the waste ink line is RIGHT behind the printer, and there is a small door which leads to the waste ink line. It's different for the Artisan 800 printer.

It's quite easy to set up a waste ink tank, no need to buy those ebay kits. You can do it yourself. Once you find the waste ink line, all you need to do is connect an external tube to it, and feed it into a bottle/container. All you will have to worry about is resetting the waste ink pads. You won't have to worry about that for awhile though.

In regards to printing costs, it will not cost anymore than one or two cents per page. I turn off my printer when it's not in use. If your really concerned about price, I would suggest you purchase ink in bulk. For example, you can get 16 OZ of inks from OCP and Hobbicolors for less than $70.

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
riddickk said:
Were Do U Drill A Hole In Cartridrige To Refill Ink In A T0996 For A Epson Artisan 830 Series
For Epson printers it's recommended you either purchase a CISS or refillable cartridges. If you only use your printer occasionally refillable carts are suggested.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
burning said:
In regards to printing costs, it will not cost anymore than one or two cents per page. I turn off my printer when it's not in use. If your really concerned about price, I would suggest you purchase ink in bulk. For example, you can get 16 OZ of inks from OCP and Hobbicolors for less than $70.
$70 for 16 oz of ink? This can't be right.

burning

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tin Ho said:
burning said:
$70 for 16 oz of ink? This can't be right.
You have to remember, the artisan series printers only use 6 cartridges. With OCP inks you can purchase the colors you need the most in larger quantities. When I purchased 16 OZ of inks from Hobbicolors, it cost me around $65 but the shipping price to Canada killed the deal. Shipping alone was $25 via Priority Mail.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Drames wrote (I'm a student working with a nonprofit Orphan Sponsorship Program at my university and we print a lot of stuff. There are a lot of 8.5x11 full colour documents to print out, and I was wondering how much my ink costs would be.) Drames, look into this....
CIS System the only way to go for the best bang for the buck! I happen to use an Epson Stylus printer that I bought remanufactured by Epson for $149. Now, I'm not the greatest mathematician so help me out here. Lets assume an Epson OEM cartridge costs $18.00 and in my printer I need a set of 6 of those, that comes to $108.00 a set.( there is a new printer right there almost). By the way I have seen Epson OEM cartridges selling for more and a bit less but $18.00 per cartridge is average. I buy my bulk inks from a good source, and there are many, and I pay a bit under $70.00 for all 6 colors for 240 MILS of ink per bottles so 6 bottles gives me 1440 MILS of inks total! Assuming your fortunate to actually get 12 MILS per cartridge or 72 MILS of ink per set of 6 from the OEM cartridges to match that 1440 MILS of ink would take 20 sets of Epson Cartridges and the cost would be $108 per set times 20 which comes to $2160.00. Let me see, shall I pay $70.00 or $2160 for the same amount of ink? No brainer right? And my experience with the print quality is that I have not seen any difference in the quality of prints using the CIS systems and inks. Anyway, I do encourage you to really look into this and satisfy yourself as to the accuracy of my comments. It just amazed me when I realized how much some of these companies charge for their inks and how they try to convince people to use nothing but their inks. You would do yourself a great favor if you would also use this venue and others to inform yourself on all the CIS blessings like how to reset chips and what RATF chips and dampers are all about and so forth, really it is fun especially when you save enough money to buy yourself many, many new printers with the money you are saving on inks! Happy and affordable printing my friend. "Outoftheinkwell"

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
My Artisan 725 is very similar, in fact the same head and set up. I used the OEM carts that came with the printer just to allow Epson to initialize the system then I switched to dampers with flip top top openings and a read full chip set and never had to be concerned about how many pages of full color prints I'd get anymore. In fact just now before I came in here, I refilled my wife's printer in about 15 minutes. I can't see any difference in the prints from OEM inks and I can print as much as I want without taking out a loan from the bank! Happy Printing. Outoftheinkwell!

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
My dampers hold about 18 mils of ink and that is about 13 refills per 240 mil bottle of ink. 13 OEM Epson cartridges would cost about $208.00 while the refills from the bottle cost me $10.25. This is based on figuring OEM cartridges to cost $16.00 apiece which is a very good price for Epson cartridges from what I have seen quoted online. As to quality of prints, I have seen no real loss of quality or longevity from the third party inks I use. Note that this is for one color so multiply this times the number of colors your printer has. In my case that is 6. 6 x $208 becomes $1248 for the OEM cartridges compared to 6 x $10.25 per 240 mil bottle which is $61.50. My question is, why oh why would anyone even hesitate to buy a damper/chip bar set and bottles of ink? I stopped using the expensive OEM carts almost 10 years ago and have enjoyed all the printing of full color photographs I could ever want. If I had to pay the OEM prices I'd never print near as much. It just would not be affordable for us. The money saved has been huge. Even Epson has benefited since I have 9 of their printers now and continue to buy them. I really like their printers. One day they may even get the message and put a more realistic price on their inks! I understand they have already done this in other countries where they have made the Epson 100 and 200 models using CIS and bags of their inks at a much cheaper price. Way to go Epson, now how about doing that in the good old USA? Happy Printing....Outoftheinkwell.