Artisan 800 cartridges - cost per page, per photo,

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Drames wrote does it help that i always keep on standby, and never turn it off?

I turn my Artisan 725 off every night. When You don't the head does not set down on the ink pad and eventually this dries the ink into the head causing clogs. Of course frequent ( daily ) printing keeps the printer humming.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Please understand this folks, many simply are listening to tales of the internet.

The 725 and similar has a built in timer that will recap the head if there is no printing activity within a specified period. Each time it recaps it initiates some ink movement. When you turn it off, you will also hear this sequence of events and that is why this machine has a delayed shutdown where it goes about this process. Recapping essentially puts the head in a state like a shutdown but the printer is now on standby ready to print.

For this reason, when powered is to be shut off, it should ideally be done by the power off switch first. It should not be shut down with a power bar switch as the source of power cutoff.

If the sealing cup is not sealing well. No matter what process is used, the head will dry up during a period of no use. The key is the proper seal of the sealing cup. As long as the sealing cup is sealing properly, it matters not that it is not shut off if it is used once in a while. Remember that shutoff will move some ink so that it will be safer. However, I have had my Artisan on standby all the time except for power outages for over a year and I have never once had to perform a head clean to clear any nozzles. Even in the hot tropics, my nephew went away for a month and his Artisan fired right back up and printed perfectly the next time.

YMMV depending on the SEAL.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I still marvel at how many people still believe the "Turn your printer off" or your head will dry up story.
Some printers might do that but I regularly keep all 17 of my printers listed and some not listed below on at all time. The only time they are off is if the power goes out.
This last month I really was lazy and only ran nozzle checks after 4 weeks of inactivity on most of the printers due to being with my grand son for days and not printing anything.

ALL printers printed perfect nozzle checks.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Well there you go, the very reason I come in here. I'm not too old to learn and the learning process is always on going! I wouldn't want it any other way! Outoftheinkwell.