Artisan 1430 won't power on. I can power it on in service mode though

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP
I just received an Artisan 1430 that was heavily clogged after a successful power on and nozzle check print. The printer functioned completely fine other than the clog. I did a flush on all colors including black and thought I did a decent job of keeping everything clean and dry. I plugged the printer back into my computer and tried to print and received an error. Both the ink and paper light were blinking at the same time. This wasn't happening before the flush. After messing around with an ink cartridge not being read, I finally got the printer to recognize all ink cartridges. But it would not print. After turning it on and off a few times, it just stopped turning on altogether.

I was able to turn it on and successfully flash the firmware in service mode though. That is now the only way I can turn it on. Are there any button configurations or ways I may be overlooking here? I've used different power cords and outlets. I'm starting to feel like I screwed the printer up during the flush. I should have started by doing a head cleaning through the software first. Any input is appreciated.

Update: I'm certain water got somewhere it shouldn't have and fried the printer. I'm going to be a lot more gentle when servicing these printers from now on. Lessen learned.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
How do you turn on the printer in service mode if it doesn't switch on normally ? And why would you flash the firmware ? With which version - with which software ?

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP
I accidentally found service mode wile trying to discover any hidden ways to power the printer up. I know a lot of printer companies have hidden menus like HPs OfficeJet series. I simply held all five buttons down on the printer for roughly ten seconds. Or until the power and ink light turned on. Honestly at that point after going through the gauntlet of trying to figure it out, flashing the firmware couldn't hurt.

I ended up dissembling the entire printer to see where all the parts are. There's a YouTube video of a guy doing it. That was a nice start. But actually having it in front of you helps a lot. I'm going to chalk this up as an educational experience for future ones to service.

I used Epsons own firmware flash utility. And also poked around in the WIC software. WIC software showed me a X-Hot error and then fatal error. I didn't save the log at the time though.

Last edited:

Latest posts