Are Canon BCI-6 and BCI-3e dye inks the same?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Here's an age-old question that has never been answered--until now:

Before the BCI-6 line of dye inks, Canon produced a very similar BCI-3e line of dye inks. You can still buy them. The question is: are they interchangeable? I recently received an old printer that had the three BCI-3e yellow, magenta and cyan cartridges in it. I took them out and put them in my MP760 and did a deep cleaning and a couple regular head cleanings. Then I printed a nozzle check on glossy photo paper and compared it to one I had done earlier with my BCI-6 cartridges refilled with Inktec ink (which is very close to Canon OEM ink). There was no difference observed between them (as viewed by a non-color blind person). So I would say the answer is Yes, they are the same.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
That subject has been discussed before awhile back.
As far as I know the BCI3e and the BCI3ebk have the same ink as the BCI6 cartridges. I used to get both and used them both in my i9900, i950 and ip4000. I didn't see any difference in the print outs on glossy photo paper. I can't say for sure, but, I think Canon just changes the labels.

d1hamby

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I always thought the BCI3e's were pigment inks. I know the BCI6's are dye inks. I use pigment ink when refilling my BCI3e's and I haven't run into any problems with my BJC-3000.

ian

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Only the 3EPBK cartridge uses the pigment ink all the rest of the BCI3 use die based ink. But apart from that you can use the same die based ink in both 3 and 6 cartridges as well as the 8 cartridges as well.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, the thin cartridges, no matter what their nomenclature (at least in these series) are dye ink based while the fat cartridges are pigment based.