Appreciate advice: appropriate 8.5" wide CLI-8 printer w/ all die ink?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I wasn't suggesting that the iP4500 be a backup for your Pro-9000-2 because you asked for a smaller printer that would be more portable.
Understood. It looks like the iP4500 would be a good alternative to have available. I've made an offer on the one you pointed me towards in California.There is an iP9900 locally on CraigsList that I'm checking on, but I'd rather not have another huge printer.

I'm trying to get to a reasonable comprehension of paper, ink, cartridges ... and now the factor of printheads. I'm feeling like a pin-head.

One last point that I want to repeat with regard to printers used for mass printing: printers that have a photo magenta and photo cyan cartridge will go through those cartridges very quickly. They have about one-seventh of the color as the regular cartridges and typically are used at about three times the rate as the regular ones. You will either have to bring along a lot of previously refilled cartridges or re-ink on the spot.
That I think understand from an earlier post from you or another, and it is a plus for the 5 head with 4 die colors over the Pro-9000-2 with 8 colors, other than "fine art". OCP ink is pretty reasonably priced, but it is a nuisance to be running out of PM and PC more often. An explanation I heard is that the PM and PC allow better flesh tones.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
RMM said:
You can in fact use CLI-8 cartridges in the BCI printers. I tried it in a IP6000D that I had and it worked fine.

The iP6600D is a 6 color CLI-8 photo printer. (Just giving another option)
That opens up some options. I had to look closer at first to realize you were talking about two different printer models .... 6000 and 6600. I can make my own profiles, so that gives me extra flexibility.

An aside:
Seems like many/most of the people selling inkjets on CraigsList are missing carts, or they are empty, or partly empty. Makes you wonder how they expect to sell them for more than scrap.
"What's a nozzle check? Everything was fine the last time I used it."
I can understand that being the case in a thrift shop. There is one several blocks away ... I'll walk over and look it over.