Anyone successfully refill the new Brother LC51 carts?

BOYNTONSTU

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
drmike said:
You might be interested in a CISS for the LC-41's.
http://exchangerate.ws/product.php?product=Brother+LC41+Continuous+Ink+System+with+UV+INK
Using a CISS is the best way to go in my opinion because what messes up the printheads is running out of ink and running the head dry and with a CISS that should never happen so it just works and works and works... I run my black carts in a home made CISS mode since all I do is black in my office. I have 2 setup that way. One for the computer and another for faxes and copying. Both are all in one machines MFC-240C's
Thanks,

$99 is to much for my budget.

Did you use the original cartridges in your homemade CISS or use refillable?

Details please.

Do you fool the color cartridges with tape or do you keep them filled?

drmike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm using refillable LC-51 carts bought empty from www.buyinknow123.com [ I paid 12.98 for 4 ] . There are also filled refillable ones with bottles of ink like from inkjetmall.com. I saw those 4 for $20. To make a CISS you have to make a small hole in the back in a place not in the way of the cart. locking mechanism. You attach a small diameter vinyl hose 1/16" to 1/8" OD and run that hose down into a reservoir bottle of ink - all the way to the bottom. Where the hose attaches to the cart it must be airtight and there must be NO VENTS left open on the cart. The hose goes to the bottom of the reservoir bottle either through the side of the top of the bottle or through the cap. A SMALL VENT HOLE MUST BE LEFT IN THE CAP OR ELSEWHERE NEAR THE TOP OF THE BOTTLE SO INK CAN BE SUCKED OUT THROUGH THE TUBE WITHOUT CREATING A VACUUM IN THE BOTTLE. Then about an inch or so of ink is added to the bottle. There will be a rubber plug on the cart that you can open and using a syringe, suck out air from the cart until the ink flows through the tube from the bottle and fills the cart. Replace the plug and as you use the ink it should gently and passively siphon replacement ink from the bottle. It can get messy so wear gloves and cover your worksurface. It gets less messy as you get the hang of it. I have tried many glues and the best is hot melt glue from a glue-gun. Small ones can be found for just a couple of dollars in hardware or craft stores with enough glue until retirement.

drmike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have not looked for LC-41's so I don't know what's available, but I would bet that if you take one of them apart you will be able to find a way to connect a hose, block the cart. vent and put it back together. It is not easy with the LC51's so I would guess they made the 41's at least as hard to do....they are very tricky guys, but considering they sell ink for about $3,000 per gallon you can easily understand why they try so hard to prevent refillers!!! At least brother does not put chips in their carts as far as I know. PS: Don't forget to look on ebay for possible refillables ....I just checked and at least 2 sites sell them. Good luck!