Anyone profiled Formulabs inks (Arrow, Alotofthings, etc) on a Canon?

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Particularly a Canon 4 color such as the 4000, 5000, etc?

I'm looking for a profile for my 5000 that is close.

jesoonster

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Inky I got a question for you. I looked around for test prints using formulab ink and I found this:

http://www.88inkjets.com/printout_comparisons.html

Since you haven't posted any scans up of your pics I'm wondering if you can give me your opinion on the quality of the prints you have vs the ones shown in the pic. Obviously two different printers are being used but still.....

Since I have not seen any other print other than the one that nifty posted (using formulab ink) I would at least want to know if you think the problems that you see on the link that I posted above are apparent on the prints that you are doing now. Thanks.

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jes-

It's hard to tell from those images they show, which which are pretty terrible example images. I mean you can't tell anything from them.

Any printer can print 100 saturated bright and light colors. What's difficult is printing accurate subtle colors, like tan skin that's not pink or green, and still managing to look healthy and not like a wax figure.

Also, don't believe any advertisments. I've seen some where they definitly lie, regardless of how much they say it's all legit.

Having said that, the second image (if it was even a second scan) looks cooler. Since the scan and image is so bad, it's hard to tell how severe the tint is in real life.

The Formulabs problem is more of a sever shift to magenta in shadows especially. Again, I'm printing a brunet with reddish highlights, and purple shadows. Not natural at all.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Inky:

I Emailed you a profile for the Formulabs BCI-6, for the IP5000. This profile may not work with the I960 or any other 6-color printer, I did not tested on any of them.

I also have something else for you to try. This method will give you personal control over what color shift you prefer.

Whatever file you are working on, do the following.

Create a new adjustment SELECTIVE COLOR layer, make sure this layer sits above all other layers.

Set all the colors to:
+15 Cyan
-15 Magenta
+15 Yellow

Set the neutrals to:
+5 Cyan
-5 Magenta
+5 Yellow

Do not make any adjustments to the White and Black colors, leave everything at zero.

Then print the photo and see if you like it. If you thing it needs more yellow or whatever, go back in the selective color layer and adjust until you get the results you want.

I hope this will help.

I find that the selective color adjustment gives more realistic colors then Canon ink.

Robert

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks but the profile is super yellow, and the method mentioned for Photoshop already tried.

Posts in other threads have that covered.

Thanks anyways though.

yortrecneps

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
I guess this should be directed mostly to INKY as I have noticed that there are quite a few items about the company ALOTOFTHINGS and FORMULABS and ARROWJET.
I had the opportunity to talk directly to one of their managers at a computer show in Pomona. According to Jeff, from alotofthings they removed ARROW cartridges from their main list of BCI-3 and BCI-6 because they suspected that ARROW had changed suppliers without notifying them about it. Jeff recommended that if I wanted a guanratee that the ink is FORMULABS that I go with empty refillable ink tanks and try their refill kit. That is a guarantee since everything is done in house. I thought that was pretty honest of them. Jeff was an informative as anyone from any company I have spoken with and a great deal more then 88inkjets who will tell me nothing about the cartridges they sell.
I did notice one thing that was stated to me at the show which I checked later on at their site. They do not state that there is FORMULABS ink in ARROW cartridges. They only state that their refill kits and cartridges contain FORMULABS inks. I myself could not locate any info on ARROW cartridges having FORMULABS ink.
Troy Spencer / WA

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
On the web site of the manufacturer, they state that the ink they use is sourced from Germany, which would be OCP ink, and the US. I seem to recall that they used to list Formulabs as the ink source and made no mention of OCP, so this indicates the web site has been updated. Last night I wasted a lot of time surfing www.globalsources.com looking at all the injet cartridge manufacturers in China. A few of them noted that Formulabs ink is what they use and one of them even had a shot of the large ink cubes with the Sensient-Formulabs label on them. I didn't see references to any other ink suppliers although nearly all of them stated they use ink from the USA.