Any suggestion of ink stains remove off hands?

NoWaste

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Use some dish washing soap and a gentle scrub with a scrubbing wool should do the job. Bleach can be hard on people who have sensitive skin. Just remember to scrub in the same direction as your finger or palm prints.

blue4ever

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Dyegone is another one you could try. It is an abrasive cream that removes everything other than cyan (for some reason). That said I always find cyan comes off with the shampoo I use to was my hair.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
mikling said:
Try putting hand/body lotion on your hands before starting and let it dry off a bit. It helps put a small barrier on. It won't be perfect but more ink will come off than if you put nothing on at all. The next secret is to prepare to shampoo your hair afterwards. What! what does shampooing have to do with ink on your hands? The vigorous rubbing of your hair somehow removes a lot more of the ink than a simple hand washing. It seems to work but YMMV.
I will try your suggestion of lotion on hand the next time. However I don't think it's the shampooing of hair that really what makes ink removes from the hands. But rather, I think it was because the amount of time the hands (which has been stains with ink) are in contact with water & the cleaning agent (shampoo or soap etc). I guess if I soak my hands in a pail of soapy water and rub continuously for 15/20 mins just like during shower, I guess quite a fair bit of ink stains will come of too. But I can't image myself standing at the sink for 20mins to rub and soak my hands in water without occupying myself with other tasks . :D

NoWaste said:
Use some dish washing soap and a gentle scrub with a scrubbing wool should do the job. Bleach can be hard on people who have sensitive skin. Just remember to scrub in the same direction as your finger or palm prints.
I tried dish washing soap but it does not readily removes off the stains from my hands.
blue4ever said:
Dyegone is another one you could try. It is an abrasive cream that removes everything other than cyan (for some reason). That said I always find cyan comes off with the shampoo I use to was my hair.
Thanks for the suggestion. Well, that add another list for consideration :)

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Try Gel shaving cream. If you use it immediately after getting a stain on your hands, it works well

alloy321

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I came to this site looking for suggestions to get ink off my fingers... and discovered one while looking through my kitchen!

A magic eraser!

Be careful though, for if you rub too vigirously, you might hurt yourself.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
alloy321 said:
I came to this site looking for suggestions to get ink off my fingers... and discovered one while looking through my kitchen!

A magic eraser!

Be careful though, for if you rub too vigirously, you might hurt yourself.
Never heard of it, we don't all live in US or something, could you post please some links etc.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi alloy321, thanks for your suggestion.

I wanted to try the Reduran that pharmacist had suggested. I am still trying to find one that could sell cheap since I need to consider the exchange rate and shipping rate. Too expensive or cost more than the regular off-the-shelf products will not make the 'trying out' worthwhile.

I found a online store in US and I enquired about the shipping rate oversea since it say the flat rate is $7.50. The seller asked me for my mailing address which I provided and then never revert back to me on the oversea shipping rate for a month. I lost interest with that online store. Since then I still have yet to get hold of the Reduran.

Then another online store quoted a $23++ oversea shipping rate for just one small 100ml tube.

I had a Magenta dye ink which has high colorant in it such that it's much harder to take them off my hand. Even the black pigment ink came off from hand but the dye Magenta takes a day or two. The content of dye Magenta colorant is so much that even the rubbery/silicon transparant wiper near absorber pad is stained with Magenta that cannot be remove with isopropy alcohol.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Is Clorox or its equivalent sold in most countries? A generic brand costs about $1 US a gallon here in San Francisco. Enough to slightly dampen a spot on a paper towel is all you need to remove ink from skin. Non-sterile "exam" gloves cost $5 to $10 for a box of 100 and are readily availalbe. Wearing these gloves, which you can use more than once, prevents all but the slightest amount of stain if you are a bit careless (as I sometimes am). I know that clorox is not kind to the skin, but you don't bathe in it or dip your hands in it - You just rub the ink spots and rinse them off.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Clorox (Sodium Hypochlorite solution) has the disadvantage that dye stains will be bleached but with a tenacious yellow hue on your fingers which is very difficult to remove from it. Reduran actually contains a natural scrubbing material (from wallnut shells) and sodium sulphite which is very powerfull reductor and destroys the double bounding in the dye molecules. By doing so the resonance structure which gives the colour is destroyed thus the colour giving electron dance is stopped and gone is your colour. The formulation is alot more skin friendly than sodium hypochlorite solution does.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the yellow stains you mention. probabaly because I use gloves and have minimal spots to bleach out. Exposure is very short in duration and I immedidately rinse well afterward. The reason I mention Clorox is that most households have it and it is cheap and effective.