Any suggestion of ink stains remove off hands?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi Anyone knows of any product that can really remove the ink stains off the hands and not something that still leave a faint marks behind? I know repeated washing or after 1 day or 2 days the stains on the hands will be washed away. I still find that it is easier to maneuver and work on the refill without any gloves. But sometime I make such a mess despite having worn the gloves and I find it a little embarrasing with the stains when I am out.

I currently have accessed to this from my local store.
http://www.googone.com/images/gg_images/KA02_big.jpg
http://www.googone.com/images/gg_images/GG3_big.gif
http://www.googone.com/images/gg_images/GGHS12_big.jpg

Do the above mentioned products remove ink stains off hands well? If yes, any idea which bottle would be more suitable/preferable?

If no, any suggestion of ink stain remover that you have tried and works wonder? Thanks.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Common household bleach will get rid of the ink stains on your hands and the counter top too. Use it full strength applied with a piece of towel paper, but only leave on just long enough to remove the ink, then wash well with lots of water. Dry, and maybe use a skin lotion.

If you splash the full strength bleach on your clothes, you will do instant damage to the colors. Don't do that!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I agree with Canonfodder that household bleach works, but I pour about an ounce of bleach into a sink containing about 1 quart of warm water. The dilute solution may take a little longer to oxidize (fade) the effects of the dye based ink on your skin than straight bleach, but the dilute mixture is less aggressive on the skin and clothing.

I have never tried these types of products (http://www.laundry-alternative.com/Oxygen_bleach_research.html), but they should also work (as should hydrogen peroxide). I suspect that the first product that you listed may use this type of agent.

Bleaches will not work nearly as well on pigment based inks (which is why they have a longer display life), but soap and some scrubbing should work on them.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Lin - If I were you I would try to get used to wearing gloves. Unless you are allergic to latex rubber products, buy non-sterile exam gloves. They come in small, medium, and large sizes, and if you find the ones that fit you well, you will not find them difficult to work with. The plastic gloves do not conform to your hands well. When you consider that surgeons and dentists have to wear them while doing extremely precise work and have to handle many small instruments, you will realize that you can refill ink carts while wearing them. Also, if you are fairly new at refilling you will soon learn to control the mess better. My vote for cleaning off the little bit of ink that might get on my hands is household bleach. I've never tried it diluted, but I will now that Grandad has mentioneed it. That will be easier on the skin.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
There is a special product available from the makers of Stokolan called Reduran. It's specially formulated to remove dye stains from skin (hands) and is a very powerful product which removes dye stains from your hands very effectively. It contains scrubbing material and also sulphites which actually target the double bounds in the dye molecules which absorbs lights giving something which we can see as a particular colour. Breaking down the double bounds in those dye molecules destroys the resonance structure which normally gives its particular "colour".

I use it and it's very effective without giving a yellowish hue on your hands as is the case with normal bleach and derivatives.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Lin - If I were you I would try to get used to wearing gloves. Unless you are allergic to latex rubber products, buy non-sterile exam gloves. They come in small, medium, and large sizes, and if you find the ones that fit you well, you will not find them difficult to work with. The plastic gloves do not conform to your hands well. When you consider that surgeons and dentists have to wear them while doing extremely precise work and have to handle many small instruments, you will realize that you can refill ink carts while wearing them. Also, if you are fairly new at refilling you will soon learn to control the mess better. My vote for cleaning off the little bit of ink that might get on my hands is household bleach. I've never tried it diluted, but I will now that Grandad has mentioneed it. That will be easier on the skin.
I am actually using latex gloves whenever I doing my refilling and they fitted well on my hands. However, I have the habit of removing these gloves midway my refilling and that is how sometime I accidentially got inks onto my hands. Sometimes I give up or when I wanted to get a quick refill so I didn't put on the gloves. But your illustration of the surgeons & dentists wearing gloves are really good. Since they got used to it and I think I should learn to get use to it too. :)

pharmacist said:
There is a special product available from the makers of Stokolan called Reduran. It's specially formulated to remove dye stains from skin (hands) and is a very powerful product which removes dye stains from your hands very effectively. It contains scrubbing material and also sulphites which actually target the double bounds in the dye molecules which absorbs lights giving something which we can see as a particular colour. Breaking down the double bounds in those dye molecules destroys the resonance structure which normally gives its particular "colour".

I use it and it's very effective without giving a yellowish hue on your hands as is the case with normal bleach and derivatives.
Thanks pharmacist. I think I read about this product sometime back (a month or few weeks) and this was the recommended product. I forgot about my search then. Thanks for mentioning & reminding about this product again.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Try putting hand/body lotion on your hands before starting and let it dry off a bit. It helps put a small barrier on. It won't be perfect but more ink will come off than if you put nothing on at all. The next secret is to prepare to shampoo your hair afterwards. What! what does shampooing have to do with ink on your hands? The vigorous rubbing of your hair somehow removes a lot more of the ink than a simple hand washing. It seems to work but YMMV.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
At one time I had two products from the same company - a tube of stuff about the consistancy of toothpaste that you put on your hands that let you work without gloves in materials that were water soluable, and another tube thatsfhen applied to your hands, acted as a shield against non-water soluable materials. The latter permitted me to work on my car, get my hands totally greasy, and simply wash the oily stuff off. Same with using the first product to do garden work. They worked pretty well, but gloves are much better for refilling. they didn't work as well for mechanical work as they tore easily. When refilling, I put the gloves on before starting and don't take them off until everything is totally cleaned up.

NoWaste

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Lin, the trick is to do the refill without getting the ink on your hands or any other things except into the cartridge. A proper refill procedure will take you about a 30 sec to refill a cartridge or nothing more than a minute. And without any ink on your hands and other things.

So if you are having a refill procedure that gets ink onto your hands and others, something must be wrong with the procedure. It should be neat and clean. --- No ink stains on your hands to remove!

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
NoWaste said:
Hi Lin, the trick is to do the refill without getting the ink on your hands or any other things except into the cartridge. A proper refill procedure will take you about a 30 sec to refill a cartridge or nothing more than a minute. And without any ink on your hands and other things.

So if you are having a refill procedure that gets ink onto your hands and others, something must be wrong with the procedure. It should be neat and clean. --- No ink stains on your hands to remove!
There is nothing wrong with the procedure just that sometime by accident I get some ink onto my hands.