Any other swellable polymer papers?

P

pgobkac

Paul Verizzo said:
The HP Everyday appears to be the basic swellable polymer like on the more expensive papers. But it is only $15 for a 100 sheets. If you don't want or need heavy paper, this is a great value.
I wonder if your HP Everyday is the same as what I get. Staples often has it on rebate for $1 for 50/sheet with a limit of two packages. IMO, their non-rebate price is exorbitant.

Next to Canon Matte (45 lb), it is the thinnest photo paper I've encountered: 53 lbs.

For comparison:
plain paper: 20 lbs
cardstock non-photo paper: 110 lb (care needed for many Canon inkjets)
Canon plus glossy ii: 69 lbs
Kirkland: 69 lbs
Canon Glossy: 45 lbs which I've never used and may not be made any more

BTW, have you tried Costco Kirkland? For members, 150 sheets for ~$18, plus sales tax. IIRC, non-members can get it for a 5% premium plus shipping/handling.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
As I explained earlier, a Costco membership makes zero sense for me, for several reasons. For the $50 membership I can buy a lot of paper and know exactly what brand and species it is.

I don't get hung up on paper weights; if it goes through the printer well, it's fine with me. Sure, we don't want 20 pound 13x19 for obvious reasons, but for letter size, it all works. So why pay for quality that isn't needed? That's just my opinion, YMMV.

PhilC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I did mention this in another thread but its probably more appropriate here. I was looking on HPs site at Premium Plus glossy paper and noticed in the specs sheet it has changed from 280gms to 300gms and is now instant dry.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06c/A1-12771-215521-79226-79226-32888-5060913.html

I assume this means it no longer is swellable polymer? Anyone know for sure, I have quite a bit of the old 280gms swellable in A4 and wanted to get some A3 the same. There is still some of the old 280gms A3 around so I ll just get that if the latest is no longer swellable but assume it wont be as "fresh". Anyone know the shelf life of this paper?

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, there goes another one........

"Instant Dry" sez it all and what we dye guys don't want to hear.

I think swellable polymer is history, other than stock on hand. Haven't heard more about Ilford Classic, but my ear has not been to the rail for the last few months.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
May have something to do with their Officejets now having pigment for all 4 colors and not just black. I don't know if the mid-level paper (used to be in a blue package) from Office Depot was swellable but printing onto it with the new Officejet was a disaster. The red was the worst, smeared all over anything the paper touched (can't stack photos). So it seems like they changed their ink formulations, so they probably changed the paper so it will work on all their printers, not just Photosmarts.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a closing comment, I guess. No more swellable polymer papers available. HP's Premium is now Premium Plus and identifies itself as instant dry and smudge free.

Yes, there were some old Ilford Classic stocks, and I think I saw some HP Premium stocks, but the bottom line is no more is being made. Why in the world Canon, who sells more dye printers only than any other company doesn't solve all their fading reputation by this superior technology is beyond me. Make the slow dry time an indicator of quality and long life. It's all in the marketing.

Anyway, there ya go, they are history.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I am wondering if it would be possible to combine swellable polymer technology with microporous layer on top of it. Somehow a microporous paper being treated with a swellable polymer coating, that penetrates the tiny cavities, so dye inks will be instantly absorbed through the microporous layer, but will react with the polymer medium, shielding the dye molecules from gas. Pigment will just stay on top of this swellable polymer, but inside the microporous cavity.

The downside will be the significant price increase, so eventually using OEM ink with cheap microporous paper will be cheaper to print with with equal fade resistance.

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
We could dream, but if HP and Ilford could not see their way clear to just keep making some of their favorite, workhorse, papers, fat chance anyone else will do as you suggest.

After posting the above, I did find that in the 13x19" Glossy size, B&H says "Discontinued," Adorama says, "On order," ("HP CZ985A Premium Gloss Inkjet Photo Paper, 13x19", 25 Sheets") and one vendor on Amazon has it for $64 box inc. shipping. (http://www.amazon.com/HP-Premium-Glossy-Photo-Paper/dp/B007S79HCU ) Sort of interesting, I think, is that the Amazon Vendor has more detail and specs on the paper than Adorama and B&H, and says, "This paper is designed and tested to provide peak performance with your HP Designjet large format printer. HP Premium glossy Photo Paper is ideal for the HP Designjet T-Series printers and the HP Designjet 130 Printer series using original HP dye-based inks." That leads me to think that maybe the paper is being dropped from the consumer sales channels but will be around for awhile for professional LF printers.

No letter size to be found. I'm tempted to buy what I can, but I guess the smart thing is to just take it like a man and learn to live with microporous.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
With the rise in camera phones and tablets the market for small photo printing is drying up rapidly, just take a look around you guys it’s started to happen right now.

Give it a bit more time and everybody will be sharing their photos on these new gadgets this way and the need for paper hard copies will be seen as old fashioned.. :(

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Said Amazon Vendor Bison Office also has some HP Everyday Glossy and Matte in several sizes. Boy, the price sure has shot up since I bought mine, oh, five years ago. Still a bargain, though.