any ideas how to fix this?

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have been getting this lately on one of my printers (MP560). Any time I print a something that is set up as a chart the lines are all "squiggly"

5028_lines.jpg

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
A Print Head Alignment should solve your problem.

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tried the auto alignment from the printer's screen. It printed a pattern for me and then I placed the sheet with pattern on the platen glass to scan it in as per the instructions, I thought it was supposed to align the head during the scan but the above print out is what I got - still showing the lines not straight.

Is there another way to do a print head alignment?

Thanks!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I've never head of having to scan your printer AUTO aligment sheet. Most AUTO alignment are just that automatic. Once done, nothing else is needed.
If you have the option for a manual one, you can try that. The you view each patch and choose one over the others according to some parameter indicated by the instructions.

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
My mp250(AIO) works the same when doing auto-alignment. It will print a sheet of paper and you have to scan it.
Go to Printer settings - Maintenance - Custom settings and select "Align heads manually", then do the alignment again. It will print three sheets of paper asking after each one to choose the best looking values.
Manual alignment is more accurate than auto-alignment (if you have a good eye and do it right), but if it doesn't solve the problem then you should return for more advice.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Frankd1, Your nozzles PGI-BK might be clogged. You need to print nozzles check list and better still print the extended nozzles check from service mode to confirm if any of your nozzles is clog or not dispensing ink droplet correctly (which looks like a nozzle that's not inline with other nozzles).
At this moment, even if you tried to do printhead alignment you will not solve the above problem.
First do print check your printhead nozzles.

And also try to print the same chart on a piece of Plain Paper while selecting "High Resolution Paper" or any "photo paper glossy plus" etc as the paper media option (do not select Plain Paper as the media option), to see if your chart still look wavy. Post an image thereafter.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you rotate the printout 90 degrees, it looks like the the printer has a problem with horizontal position of the printhead. This is most likely caused by a dirty timing strip. The inner works of an inkjet printer is a veritable miniature spray booth, so the timing strip might have become dirty from ink spray.

The timing strip is a thin transparent plastic strip with fine engravings. It is a vital part of the printer and it is delicate, so take care not to scratch or tear it.

To clean the timing strip: With the printer powered on, open lid to centre printhead. Disconnect the printer from the mains. This will allow the printhead to slide freely from side to side. Use soft tissue paper or a wad of cotton moistened with Windex or similar to gently wipe the strip.

More info about problems caused by a dirty timing strip: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4944 and: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=40436#p40436

Hopefully this cleaning will restore the printer to perfect working order.
Peter.

EDIT:

jtoolman wrote:
I've never head of having to scan your printer AUTO aligment sheet
On a stand alone printer an optical sensor located near the printhead scans the alignment pattern for most even pattern. On an all-in-one the scanner can perform this task, eliminating the cost of the optical sensor. Many HP all-in-ones print an alignment page to be scanned after a cartridge change.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Frankd1, do not clean the timing strip with windex, do not even think of cleaning it will any cleaning solution. The stripe will come off with these sort of solution . You might even need to use magnifying glass to realize strip had been remove if you cleaning with strong solution.
To diagnose your printer problem, always do the simple thing first. Don't create massive of big problem for yourself. Do one thing at a time and report back.

As I supposed you don't use CISS, you are less likely have have any grease getting onto the timing strip. And Unless, you have insert your hands into the printer, if you don't "dig your hands into the printer", there is less possibility of your hand unknowingly getting any grease or ink and accidentally staining onto the the timing strip. At this moment, don't do anything to your timing strip.

As you have already did a print head alignment, could you post a high resolution scan of your printhead alignment sheet, crop out anything white non printed area to reduce the size and post the picture else here other than uploading to nifty-stuff because the forum here there is size restriction for image. Because if the black pigment nozzles has a clog or streak or uses poor quality ink, you could even tell from the printhead alignment, the block for the black the ink droplet is not smooth but streaky.

1) And also do print check your printhead nozzles and post a high res picture result.
2) And also try to print the same chart on a piece of Plain Paper while selecting "High Resolution Paper" or any "photo paper glossy plus" etc as the paper media option (do not select Plain Paper as the media option), and observe see if your chart still look wavy. Post an image thereafter.

For others, note, for timing strip once it get any ink you will not be able to remove it. If you are to remove it with cleaning solution, you are likely to have unknowingly remove some line on the strip as well no matter now gentle you clean the timing strip. If it's stain with grease, just wipe with plain dry kitchen towel gently. Just becareful of your hand picking up grease and staining other area. Don't use any wet kitchen towel/paper to wipe also, because when the timing strip is clean with wet or damp cloth/paper towel, and you wipe it, there is friction. But if you happened to dismantle your printer for other reason, and wishes to clean the timing strip at the same time, all you have to do is to use padding method to pad on the spot that you think has grease stain and then run under tap water and then air dry on it's own. This will help to minimize any friction you may cause by wiping when the timing strip wtih wet cloth/paper towell. The most important thing for the timing strip is not to make the multiple line and 2 dots at each end disappear or deform. But at all time, don't do the unnecessary cleaning for no particular reason that calls for it.

gigigogu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had same problem with my IP4600 and IP4850.
These newer printers have a flimsy bent metal sheet as guide for carriage and printhead goes out of alignment really fast, and is most visible for PGBK on plain paper at normal/draft quality.
In time (and hundreds of sheets printed) it reaches a kind of equilibrium and printhead alignment is acceptable.

If the cartridges are refilled there is a remote possibility of wrong droplet placement as lin said because of wrong ink properties (viscosity, surface tension). Happened to me too.

Frankd1 try printing at high quality setting and see if it is better. Also post a nozzle check, it helps.

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I will work on it tomorrow following the suggestions (staying away from the timing strip for now) and then post the results.

Latest posts