an easy clog to clear on one cleaning but still a nuisance

wblackwell

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson (every one)
It is not entirely needed to keep the cellophane on as the rubber outlet is actually sealed until the inlet spike is in it but if you have an unbroken seal, that's fine to keep it unbroken during fill (for the R3000, etc). I generally (personally) fill the R3000 w/ ink and then prime it and put the primer ink back into the top of the cart. I just feel better doing it that way.

Some cartridges we actually hand QC before they got to a customer. Normally we do this right before ship. This is to make sure they register properly in the printer.

The seal is there to keep the rubber from drying out and cracking in transport and storage.

FYI, these carts do not last forever. I give them 1 1/2 years but less under continual use. I suggest always keeping a backup set and a backup set of chips too.

I'm working on a new design and mold and invention for P400 carts *these will probably also be backwards compatible w/ R2000 as they are the same design requirements. I will report back on status of these carts when we have them done. The material used in the outlet seal is of concern. Thanks for the thread, I'm keeping it in my R&D notes for future cart QC.

It's certainly something we look at at IJM, but we are only 2 people QCing for 1000 products and also keeping a full fine-art print-lab running, so it's not always practical to look at all the small details once we have a mold/design/supplier that has shown consistent quality over a few orders. (Sometimes things slip and we have to play catchup. We are always keen on replacing carts that don't work for people though. We do it as quickly as possible and often QC the carts by hand before they arrive at the customer.)

ps: For 1430-style carts, I recommend the MyInk Capsule and Keys. These have a very different design and much thinner seal plastic. Generally I think they do better for tons of production. I do all of our ink density tests on the 1430 because it over-inks consistently (it's a dye printer) and I can tell at what percentage the ink gets to maximum gamut and maximum dMax. So I use a LOT of carts with a printer that does NOT like inlet obstruction or any pigment settling at all (the main reason why we encapsulate all of our ink fyi.)

best,
Walker

R&D InkjetMall

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Last edited: