an easy clog to clear on one cleaning but still a nuisance

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000, WP-4530, R2000
Thanks Paul,

I don't need trophy points. It's enough to be able to help someone after all the help I've received from others. Besides, I'm not sure if this will solve your problem or not. I know it has, so far, solved mine.

Larry

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
@Larryb
That's an interesting issue you are pointing out, because there are many possible ink flow problems with refillables - but I never heard of this cellophane thing. And I will certainly keep an eye on this, trim one set and see what happens.. or better to say what doesn't happen compared to untrimmed sets..

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Larryb
That's an interesting issue you are pointing out, because there are many possible ink flow problems with refillables - but I never heard of this cellophane thing. And I will certainly keep an eye on this, trim one set and see what happens.. or better to say what doesn't happen compared to untrimmed sets..

Thanks Martin. In case you missed my original pictures from earlier in this thread, I found an even bigger issue with refillables. The shape of the seal is less than acceptable on some. On some refillables, the rubber seal is notched or something. If you look carefully at my latest pictures, you'll see what I mean. I'm not trying to make an advertising plug for Inkjetmall, but the seals in their carts are much smoother. I had way more trouble with the non-IJM carts, even had one that was leaking into the cart holder.

Now, I've bought carts from other sources than IJM as well, and they've been fine. It was just that R2000 set from one particular supplier. Maybe it was just that one batch from that supplier, I don't know. I'd suggest, if you have trouble with leaking carts or poor nozzle checks, first check the seal itself. If you see a poorly formed rubber seal, see if you can exchange or return it. I'm not going to bother because they say right up front that they don't guarantee the carts with anything other than the ink they sell. That means they can just blame my piezography ink instead of the cart.

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
@Larryb I think I answered my question on IJM carts as to whether I needed to do anything more. IJM certainly removed most of the cellophane but there's still a minor band around the "shoulder" of the neoprene. So I practiced on a defunct cart, using an X-Acto knife. Good thing I practiced!

As to your comment on not needing Trophy Points - I admire your attitude! Good Kharma goes around, for sure.

Regards,

Paul

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Paul,

that's interesting about the seal being removed by IJM. The seal is usually left covering the rubber seal during transport and should not have been removed prior shipping. Normally, when the nipple pierces the seal, the cellophane brakes into 3 "tabs" that get mushed against that neoprene seal. This is certainly interesting that they've been "trimmed" already....

Sincerely,

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Larryb,

Well, I checked one of my brand new out-of-the box IJM carts and the port is quite definitely sealed. But on my used IJM cart, the seal is broken, but, and here's the puzzler, there are no "tabs" that go down into the opening, as you pointed out in some carts. Now how can this be?!

Paul

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Paul,

Every once in awhile, people have returned faulty cartridges for IJM to test. Is it possible they mixed them up and you got one of the "returned" cartridges? Unfortunately, this is where the business end of most companies stumble, I doubt they'd admit to doing something like that.

(I noticed I've been replying minutes after you reply.... That's just pure chance. I'm not hovering over the Internet, in case you're wondering. I literally just came back from taking a truck load of recycling to the transfer station.)

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Larryb

That's entirely possible... but the question remains. Assuming I use my brand new IJM carts like the one I just looked at, what do I do? Install them, the seal gets punctured, pull them and if necessary do the trim you outline? Guess I'm getting ahead of the game... I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

If memory serves, I think you said something earlier on the order that IJM carts won't need your entire procedure. I guess the fundamental question is then, how should I proceed?

Well, I've certainly been hovering over the computer... time for us to take a break!

Paul

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
...The seal is usually left covering the rubber seal during transport and should not have been removed prior shipping. ..
I once peeled such a tape off completely, and the rubber valve became loose, fell off..
So I think this strong cellophane tape actually holds the valve in place, not only for shipping.

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Larryb
If memory serves, I think you said something earlier on the order that IJM carts won't need your entire procedure. I guess the fundamental question is then, how should I proceed?
Paul

Paul,

What I said, or meant at least, is that you don't need to worry about the type of neoprene seal. I would still trim the inner portion.

You know how IJM uses the vacuum method for first time filling of carts? That requires the cellophane seal to be intact. So I would fill a new cart before trimming the cellophane, insert the cart to puncture the seal, then immediately remove it to trim the cellophane.

Larry