an easy clog to clear on one cleaning but still a nuisance

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000, WP-4530, R2000
Paul,

I'm sorry that the 2nd picture is blurry. I was having trouble getting a good focus, and the camera I was using had not manual focus. Even though the cart #2 image is blurry, you can see that the seal inside is perfectly conical, whereas the seal in cart #1 has something that looks like cuts or tabs that seem to let air into the head. If you have carts from IJM, you probably have a cart with a good seal like cart #2.

The only difference between the cart #2 image and the third image is that the cellophane is trimmed on cart #2, but left untrimmed in the third picture. I was still getting air in the lines when using the cart with the untrimmed cellophane. As soon as I trimmed the cellophane so that it looked like the cart #2, I had perfect nozzle checks.

The first issue had to do with the cuts or tabs in the seal itself found in my non-IJM carts. I don't believe this is going to an issue for you.

The second issue has to do with the untrimmed cellophane. The untrimmed bits you see in that third picture seem to push up on the seal with the cart is installed and sometimes seems to allow air into the head. By trimming the excess cellophane off, the seal stays snug against the nipple on top of the head in the printer.

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Thanks, Larry, your edits have cleared things up a bit. So, tell me if my understanding is correct... in cart #2 you trimmed the outside of the cellophane, outside the circular portion of the cart. Originally it was square-shaped, and most of your trimming was the corners of the square. In cart #3 you trimmed inside the cellophane square, the trimming was circular, inside the edges of the cart. BTW, I am in fact using IJM carts.

Do you have any idea why it's my black position cart that has this problem? Now my 1430 is showing the same problem, just the black. The diluted black carts are always perfect.

Sorry, but I've had some sort of block understanding this. You might say it's my own personal clog!

Regards,

Paul

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Paul,

No worries. It can be hard to see and understand when not shown in person.

Cart #2 was trimmed exactly the same way as cart #1. I only ever trimmed the inside the circular portion.

The third image had no trimming at all. If you zoom in on the third image, you will see a triangular opening in the cellophane.

-------

Remember when these carts were new? They had that cellophane covering the entire opening of the exit port. IJM actually instructs us to not remove the cellophane layer. The nipple of in the printer cart holder is meant to pierce that opening. When it pierces the opening, the exit port of the cart looks very much like that 3rd image.

If I have some time today I'll take one of my old carts that still has the untrimmed cellophane and take a new series of pictures showing how I trim the cellophane. I'll try to get a better focus too.

Sincerely,

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Larry,

Cart #2 was trimmed exactly the same way as cart #1. I only ever trimmed the inside the circular portion.

But - I thought cart #1 was not trimmed. And I'm not sure what is meant by "I only ever trimmed the inside... "

Yes, if you have the time, I would appreciate a new series of pix!

Best regards,

Paul

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Paul,
This will be a little bit long, but hopefully complete and easier to visualize. I am showing the process using a NON-IJM cart because I have already done this to all my IJM carts.

Cart #1: Notice the cellophane inside the red circle? This is the cellophane that seals the exit port from the factory. The nipple in the printer cartridge holder pierces the cellophane. In theory, the top inside hole of the rubber (neoprene?) seal should form an airtight seal between the printer nipple and the exit port of the cart. I believe the cellophane tabs (in the red circle) push against the rubber seal and can cause air to enter through the exit port of the cart. It is these cellophane tabs I will be removing.
Cart.jpg

Cart #2: This is the same cart, but cropped to the entire cart, not just the exit port.
Cart-2.jpg

Cart #3: I am beginning to trim the excess cellophane tabs using a sharp knife. It was easier for me to use my fingers instead of the forceps to hold the cellophane. I used the forceps because my fingers would get in the way if I didn't. I used very little pressure on the knife because I didn't want to chance damaging the rubber seal underneath the cellophane.
Cart-3.jpg

Cart #4: Most of the excess cellphane has been removed. You can see I've left the cellophane where it is glued to the rubber seal. I don't want to take any chances damaging that rubber seal.
Cart-4.jpg

Cart #5: All excess cellophane has been removed. You can see some dirt and debris inside the exit port region. This will be cleaned out next. I suppose this dirt could be a cause for leakage as well. Removing the excess cellophane makes it easier to keep the exit ports clean.
Cart-5.jpg

Continued in a 2nd post...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I hate to say this to you guys, but would it not be better to get yourselves a Canon Pro 10 and eliminate the need to be forever having constant ink flow problems, in my mind it wound make perfect since, and the cart on the Pro 10 are so easy to refill without any issues.

It’s probably not what you wanted to hear, and there are good rebates to be had on this printer also...:hide

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cart #6: Flushing the exit port with piezoflush. This should probably be done with the exit port facing down so that any debris would flow out. I have the exit port facing upwards so I could take a picture.
Cart-6.jpg

Cart #7: swabbing the exit port. Any debris that doesn't flush out naturally with the flow of piezoflush can be swabbed out. This may have to be repeated a couple of times to get the exit port clean. Make sure you use a quality cotton swab, or one of those foam swabs that IJM recommends for cleaning the wipers in Epson printers.
Cart-7.jpg

Cart #8: Trimming and cleaning completed. Now there is nothing to interfere with the seal.
Cart-8.jpg

Larry

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I hate to say this to you guys, but would it not be better to get yourselves a Canon Pro 10 and eliminate the need to be forever having constant ink flow problems, in my mind it wound make perfect since, and the cart on the Pro 10 are so easy to refill without any issues.

It’s probably not what you wanted to hear, and there are good rebates to be had on this printer also...:hide

The Hat,

I have had absolutely zero troubles with carts with my R3000. The issue I'm having with carts seems to be specific for piezography and Epson printers with the carts on the head. Because piezography ink cannot be used in a Canon printer, we are limited to Epson printers here. As for colour printing, I chose Epson over Canon for two reasons: 1) Epson had a stinking good deal on the R3000 a few years ago, along with the fact that London drugs had it on sale. I got the whole thing for about $450 brand new, even cheaper than Epson reburbished ones; 2) I really liked what I heard about about ConeColor inks. Overall, I don't regret my decision at this point. I completely respect anyone else's decision to get Canon if it fits their needs.

I suspect that this is an issue because the piezography ink is filter to smaller particle sizes OEM Epson ink. The benefits to this is reduced clogging in the print head.

Sincerely,

Larry

Larryb

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you have any idea why it's my black position cart that has this problem? Now my 1430 is showing the same problem, just the black. The diluted black carts are always perfect.
Regards,

Paul

Paul,
I can't answer this question. One of my clogs was always in the Selenium shade #2, one shade lighter than the darkest shade #1. However, you're using Eboni ink, I suppose that could make a difference, but I suspect it's just chance it's affecting both blacks on the 1400 and 1430.

Larry

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Larry,

MUCH better photos! I was way off, I was trimming the corners of the cellophane square! Thanks so much, now I know what to do. I hope the managers of this website give you extra Trophy Points! Many thanks!

However, I am using IJM carts and I think you mentioned I don't need to do quite as much trimming on these. I think you mentioned this earlier... I do notice that the center portion of the cellophane is already cleared out on my carts. But I think you said I still can do some trimming somewhere, somehow. Please advise. I hope I didn't put you to all this work unnecessarily I still think it's useful to understand these carts better anyway, and your extra work will benefit others I'm sure.

It may be a day or more till I get a chance to try this out, but I will get back to you and this thread.

Best regards,

Paul

Last edited: