A new way to fill

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ThrillaMozilla said:
ghwellsjr said:
Now that I have taken time to watch Ross Hardie's video, I see that he has some incorrect ideas. ...First off, [he recommended] ...disabling Canon's air vent system designed to prevent drying out of the ink in the cartridge. ...Secondly, at around 13 minutes into his video, he claims that you can refill through his new air vent hole while the cartridge is still in the printer and that the ink will eventually flow into and refill the reservoir.
Indeed. You need only a tiny pinhole to equalize air pressure (as long as it remains open), but if the top is riddled with big holes, you'd better expect some evaporation. Canon's design is there for a reason, even if you don't understand it, and it's best to keep it intact. The second is a whopper. You won't be able to fill the ink reservoir, but you could easily oversaturate the sponge and make a mess.
Well, I dont use this method, but if you check THIS vid, Ross shows that you CAN get ink running into the reservoir side from filling from the sponge side.

http://www.inkjetcarts.us/support/a...ridges-startup-video-refill-instructions.html

I agree its potentially messy- and not the way I refill- but it looks possible...,

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, Ross shows that if you remove the cartridge from the printer and if you install the orange cap under the outlet port and if you remove the refill plug from the reservoir side and if you insert the needle into the air vent hole and if you inject ink into the sponge and if you tip the cartridge back so that the reservoir is down, then you can get ink to start flowing from the sponge side to the reservoir side, but he immediately tells you to stop refilling the sponge side at that point, remove the needle from the air vent hole, insert it into the refill hole on the reservoir side and start refilling the reservoir side.

He explains this process at 8:30 into the video and then he demonstrates doing it at 15:43. By contrast, post number #19 pointed out that he claims you can refill a cartrdige while it still is in the printer through the air vent hole and that you can see the ink coming up in the reservoir side.

Did you watch both videos?

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Yes, Ross shows that if you remove the cartridge from the printer and if you install the orange cap under the outlet port and if you remove the refill plug from the reservoir side and if you insert the needle into the air vent hole and if you inject ink into the sponge and if you tip the cartridge back so that the reservoir is down, then you can get ink to start flowing from the sponge side to the reservoir side, but he immediately tells you to stop refilling the sponge side at that point, remove the needle from the air vent hole, insert it into the refill hole on the reservoir side and start refilling the reservoir side.

He explains this process at 8:30 into the video and then he demonstrates doing it at 15:43. By contrast, post number #19 pointed out that he claims you can refill a cartrdige while it still is in the printer through the air vent hole and that you can see the ink coming up in the reservoir side.

Did you watch both videos?
Yeah- I watched. Listen, Im not endorsing it or anything, Im just saying he had another vid out there where he demonstrates (at least the beginnings) of ink filling the reservoir side from a hypo on the sponge side. Someone else has commented that he was lying or something- I dont think that was a fair statement either.

I'm still new here and I don't have an emotional attachment to one method vs another - so I'm happy to see new and different ways to skin the cat....

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
lowepg said:
Well, I dont use this method, but if you check THIS vid, Ross shows that you CAN get ink running into the reservoir side from filling from the sponge side.
In the first video, he claimed you could refill the reservoir side with the cartridge in the printer, by injecting into the sponge. You can't get much ink into the reservoir side without removing air from the top of the reservoir.

I'm sure you can get some ink in there if you tip the printer up at a 90 degree angle, but you probably won't get much, because ink in the sponge will cut off the escape route for air. He made a mistake when he claimed you could fill the reservoir without removing the cartridge.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
lowepg said:
Listen, Im not endorsing it or anything, Im just saying he had another vid out there where he demonstrates (at least the beginnings) of ink filling the reservoir side from a hypo on the sponge side. Someone else has commented that he was lying or something- I dont think that was a fair statement either.
Here's what Ross says in his other video starting at 12:44:

"Never dislodge the fill plugs while it's in the printer, period. You can actually even refill through this center hole. Forget the German method, forget all these other things that are out there about drillin' a hole in the side of the cartridge and goin' in with a long needle through the sponge. You can refill these right in the printer and top 'em off any time you want and you can do it carefully and you can even see your ink level coming up in these pockets and the reservoir side and when you see it's full, stop delivering ink, you're done."

Ross is lying.

His message is clear: "Buy my superior cartridges and you won't even have to take your cartridges out of the printer to refill them." He states this at least four times throughout his video, twice in the quote above and twice just after 5:35.

That fact is, you cannot get even a few drops of ink into the reservoir of the cartridge by using his technique. It's a lie. Why is it unfair for me to point this out?

It's not that he is trying to help people by providing an educational video--he's selling a product--it's a commercial, and he's doing it in such a way that unsuspecting buyers won't realize that it won't work, because, when you buy "empty" cartridges and ink from him, he automatically refills them before he delivers them to you, so you won't know until a long time later when a cartridge gets low or empty that you cannot refill it while it is in the printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
lowepg I agree its potentially messy- and not the way I refill- but it looks possible...,
When I see a statement like this I cringe (sorry lowepg), as I think it knocks the top filling method back to the Stone Age.

As confirmed top filler I have to agree with ghwellsjr that there are too many IFs in the whole refilling video.
Ross hardys video shows only his way to refill his own compatible cartridges
and not OEM cartridges so that has to be taken into consideration also.

I think the newer German refilling method is a great way to fill OEM cartridges
and can only praise it for its simplicity and cleanliness even dough I dont use it myself.

I could only recommend the use of prefilled compatible cartridges to use once
and dispose of but never ever attempt to refill them.

I have seen these videos before and gave my opinion on them here..

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=42720#p42720
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=42791#p42791

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
TH--your second link says it all:
The Hat said:
Lets just say, Hes just an ordinary guy trying to SELL his ideas and products to anyone that will buy in to them thats all, Hes no Saint but hed give me an argument on that Im sure..
But since he is lying, we know he can't be a Saint, even if he wants to argue about it.

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
lowepg I agree its potentially messy- and not the way I refill- but it looks possible...,
When I see a statement like this I cringe (sorry lowepg), as I think it knocks the top filling method back to the Stone Age.

As confirmed top filler I have to agree with ghwellsjr that there are too many IFs in the whole refilling video.
Ross hardys video shows only his way to refill his own compatible cartridges
Like I said- I'm a OEM-cart-drilled, top-filler myself..... I dont have a horse in the race either way.

My only turn-off from his video is how much ink he had on his own hands..... that gave me cause for pause :)

I initially looked at using his carts when I started refilling because I had already tossed my OEM carts and was using 3rd party refilled carts. I was quickly directed to ebay from helpful folks here for a multitude of sources to buy used OEM tanks.

I *DO* kinda like his seals with the little tabs on them...

slocumeddie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Could we have less heat and more light regarding these products and techniques ?:barnie

Among our vast contributors, we must have someone who has used, and can comment on, these products !

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Actually, now that you mention it, recent posts have nothing to do with the subject of this thread, which is vacuum filling.