A little Fairy Story or is it !...

Ant

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6220
Here's the all important question The Hat... do your hands feel as soft as your face? using mild green...fairy liquid... ? ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Ant said:
The Hat, have you ever tried some airbrush cleaning fluid for your pigment print heads? It is specifically made for pigmented water based airbrush paint, it may work well for you..
No I haven’t, the only two solutions I have used in the past were a Windex / alcohol mix and the Fairy washing-up liquid, the thing is the pigment print heads don’t get blocked up at all except when on one occasion I filled the cartridges with the wrong type of Glob and burned out the nozzles and there was no way back.:hit
Here's the all important question The Hat... do your hands feel as soft as your face? using mild green...fairy liquid... ? ;)
Most certainly they do but maybe that’s because you can’t make a sow’s ear out of a silk purse, even after adding the lipstick… o_O

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The Hat, have you ever tried some airbrush cleaning fluid for your pigment print heads? It is specifically made for pigmented water based airbrush paint, it may work well for you..

That's an interesting idea, airbrush cleaning fluid is effective on the intricate pathways of an air brush and I think we have got some in the cupboard. (my wife's cupboard and airbrush, but I don't think she will notice);)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I bought a bottle of the Fairy dish washing liquid today. The bottle has text in Danish, Swedish and Finnish, so the product is sold under the Fairy name in Denmark, Sweden and Finland.

By googling "Fairy" I found the product has many uses, here it is used in a DIY flea trap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nYlFEWYgNg

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
The Hat wrote:
I now have a spare head for my iX400 all because of this stuff..

How do you keep the spare print head in good condition? I have a spare head and keep it in a jar. The head rests on a tissue soaked with diluted alcohol. Here is a photo:

w39z4.jpg

As you can see the tissue drains the ink out of the nozzles.

But is it safe? The alcohol might damage the plastic or the moist may destroy the electronics.
So I wonder: is storing the head dry better?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I store one of my spare heads in the unopened bag that it came in and the other one in a plastic dish with just an about 10 cm of water in it.

I don’t imagine storing a head in a sealed jar with all the condensation about wouldn't be good for the electronics; I reckon you should just leave the lid off.
Edit !

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The worst print head and logic board killer is in my opinion water or cleaning fluid where it does not belong, behind the circuit board and the ribbon cable, so before reinstalling the print head, make sure it has been properly dried.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thanks for the advise guys. So now I changed the tissue in the jar with the Dreft/Fairy fluid with demi water. If I keep the lid open the solution will eventually evaporate. So this situation can only last for some weeks.

Pharmacist's recipe must be the best, but the industrial ingredients are not available in regular stores. And the blue colored methanol (brandalcohol) I used is not recommended. The only alternative can be the expensive medical alcohol.

The moist climate in the jar worried me too, but isn't the climate in a closed plastic bag the same?

So there are two options:
-wet storing in a plastic bag (or a jar)
-dry storing like in a printer that is kept unused for years.