A Glance at the New Canon 200 & 300... !

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Now these carts have a special new chip on them and I reckon when you reinsert a cart that has already has been disabled previously, (Second refill) the printer will not recognise that chip and won’t allow any further printing till you put in a new cart. !
Could be possible. After all, Canon Maxify's have the screwy required "Register" the paper type after every time you open the paper tray - even with the printer powered off.

Does any other Canon printer do what you are suggesting - completely disallowing a previously disabled cartridge/chip after it has been removed and then reinserted back in the printer? Or would this be an entirely new gain of function for a Canon printer?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
WTF is this magic chip. There is no magic. When you see support codes on the 200. You simply follow the dialog provided on the screen and proceed as Canon directs you.

On the 300 there is minimal dialog on the screen and no guidance, just keep going until you see support code 1699 and then the 5 sec press and it is done.

If you don't have the machines, you should keep something shut.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Or would this be an entirely new gain of function for a Canon printer?
I don’t really know exactly right now, but if is then it will be a huge game changer, because more of the Canon range would surly follow, but I reckon they’ll still leave the small desktop printers so they can be hacked..

The future is not bright for Refillers if they don’t act now and get a few of the older pro printers and some spare print heads to stash away for a rainy day..

you see support code 1699 and then the 5 sec press and it is done.
He has tried it once and thinks he knows everything.. ! !
If you don't have the machines, you should keep something shut.
I am not the one that needs a foot stuck in his..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Could be possible. After all, Canon Maxify's have the screwy required "Register" the paper type after every time you open the paper tray - even with the printer powered off.

Does any other Canon printer do what you are suggesting - completely disallowing a previously disabled cartridge/chip after it has been removed and then reinserted back in the printer? Or would this be an entirely new gain of function for a Canon printer?
I do not have this paper register issue with the Maxify, it can easily be set, don't remember how.

The difference between power on and standby is rather arbitrary. I can power on the old PRO-9500 from the PC (can't do that with the PRO-10), I wouldn't seek dark forces behind it.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I do not have this paper register issue with the Maxify, it can easily be set, don't remember how.
Done.

The Register prompt is but a fart in a wind storm. It even disappears without user interaction, IIRC.

The reason I broaught it up was that there are sensors/prompts on the Maxify that were not present on my old MP830. Canon evolves, so, maybe the new Pro 200/300 have a surprise in store for refillers.

Concerning the 1699 error code, I found a rare acknowledgement from Canon about cartridge refilling in their explanation of support code 1699 and disabling ink level monitoring for the Pro-10s printer:

* With this operation, releasing the function for detecting the remaining ink level is memorized. Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any malfunction or trouble which may be caused by continuation of printing or refilling of ink.
https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/ErrorCode/PRO-10S series/EN/ERR/1699.html

Not sure what context "memorized" means.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought it meant, too.
Typically whenever Canon sends out a replacement printer on warranty, they ask you to dispose of the old one yourself It is not sent back for refurbishing or inspection, I experienced it two times. My replacement Pro-1000 came by itself on a 2 ton truck on a pallet, the delivery had to be organized and arranged......the COST! . They did not want to hear anything of a return.....disposal is up to you. Epson wants them back OTOH but logically I do not see Epson reviewing each return. I suspect they are stored by model and then refurbed by a tech en masse for that model. The logistics of sorting and inspecting each one prior to refunding the card is a nightmare for an organization. As a consequence they get some bad one and mostly good ones and call it a day. Does that indicate that returns are so minor to Canon and it would cost more to set up something internally for that? Epson OTOH?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Typically whenever Canon sends out a replacement printer on warranty, they ask you to dispose of the old one yourself It is not sent back for refurbishing or inspection
Canon had me send back a Maxify under warranty that was demonstrating banding. They paid the freight. Shipped me a new, not refurbished, Maxify before I shipped the "old" one to them. Never heard back from them.

Canon has always been great with issues I have had - while under warranty, of course.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Canon had me send back a Maxify under warranty that was demonstrating banding. They paid the freight. Shipped me a new, not refurbished, Maxify before I shipped the "old" one to them. Never heard back from them.

Canon has always been great with issues I have had - while under warranty, of course.
It might be different in Canada