a crazy idea??

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Thanks for your feedback and that you'll breeze some more life into your Pro9000; please come back at any time if other questions arise.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
Thanks for your feedback and that you'll breeze some more life into your Pro9000; please come back at any time if other questions arise.
and thanks for your help, i m sure i will other things to talk about.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I haven't tested the Octoink pigment ink that I use in some of my PGI72 carts. All I can tell is that there's no comparison
I had my Pro 10 on today to do some work and decided to print a test sheet while I was at it..
Pigment test.jpg

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm getting the impression that the longevity of pigment inks is gaining interest; I did not do any relevant test for it with pigment inks, I was using an Epson P400 for quite a while, and my prime interest was how 3rd party inks perform in respect to bronzing and gloss uniformity, and this with or w/o the use of a gloss/chroma optimizer. I collected quite a large collection of different ink samples at that time which I'm still using up with my age old 24" Pro7600. I'll start a separate thread about the longevity of pigment inks and dig through information hiding in the Wilhelm Research or Aardenburg databases as a start.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nether am I, but seeing as I’m cooking some dye test prints, I taught why not..

I am very happy with the longevity of my pigment inks, that’s one of the reasons why I switched over to them..

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nether am I, but seeing as I’m cooking some dye test prints, I taught why not..

I am very happy with the longevity of my pigment inks, that’s one of the reasons why I switched over to them..
if i had the money i would buy a pigment printer, but for now, i will just stick with the dye printer, and use OEM inks,i have some prints that were in a portfolio, and they still look OK after like 4 years, but i am sure if i reprinted them i would see a difference.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
if i had the money i would buy a pigment printer, but for now
Dye ink format is a great way to print for most, and at times produce better prints than pigment ink, and you only need to change over if you’re not happy with the longevity you’re getting from your OEM inks.

There’s no need to change just for the sake of changing..

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If the prints are kept n a drawer, a box or portfolio, away from light, ozone and other oxidants they will last years, without noticeable fading, even with 'not-so-good' compatible dye inks, provided the paper is of decent quality.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
If the prints are kept n a drawer, a box or portfolio, away from light, ozone and other oxidants they will last years, without noticeable fading, even with 'not-so-good' compatible dye inks, provided the paper is of decent quality.
the problem stems from wanting to give prints away, and folk hanging them. the main idea, i think, of printing, is to dispaly, if it is just keeping the image, i would just store the files on HD.

anthonygh

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro -1 Epson R3000 - two
I had that printer but it died (printhead failure). I used German OCP inks and I still have prints in boxes that are many years old but look as fresh as when first produced.

I have wondered about have some on display. Proper framing with UV glass will help preserve dye prints; even proper framing without UV glass makes a big difference.

Another plan was to do reserve prints and keep them boxed; and if the mounted ones ever faded...just replace them!!

I ended up with a Pro 1 at a very good price (pigment printer) so still using Canon for now.