a crazy idea??

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You would need a 'clear ink' to dilute C and M to PC and PM, I don't know whether that is available from ink distributors in your country. Some company may offer special inks to create films for silk screening, they may have a clear ink suitable for Canon printheads.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
If longevity/fading of your prints is your concern you may substitute some inks with the Chromalife dye inks for the G550/650 Megatank printers which come much cheaper than original cartridges, this applies for C M Y red photo-black , you can give it a try to mix green from yellow and Cyan 1:1 and continue with original inks for the photo colors light cyan and light magenta. These bottled Chromalife 100 inks got tested several times by @maximilian59 and myself, these are the best bottled dye inks you can get.
i do not see the GI53 inks listed here in usa. i see them on the canon UK site. what ratios are used to create green, but could always stick tho green carts, as not much is used.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
You would need a 'clear ink' to dilute C and M to PC and PM, I don't know whether that is available from ink distributors in your country. Some company may offer special inks to create films for silk screening, they may have a clear ink suitable for Canon printheads.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
or just contine to use the carts from canon, but i seem to use more of PC than other colors. this is really just experimenting, as from what i have read, no dye inks will be as fade resistant as the pigs , by a very long shot. this printer has not had a huge amount of use,

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
i do not see the GI53 inks listed here in usa.
model and product numbers vary by business region - the megatank printer running with Chromalife 100 inks is the G620 in the U.S. The other Megatank printers use much inferior inks in comparison.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...nters/all-megatank-inkjet-printers/pixma-g620

It uses the Chromlife 100 inks as specified

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/gi-23-black-ink-bottle

as from what i have read, no dye inks will be as fade resistant as the pigs , by a very long shot.
Where did you get this info from - that is completely wrong in this general scope. OEM dye inks perform much better than any 3rd party refill inks - that can be a factor of 5 or 10 or even 20, and OEM pigment inks perform better than dye inks, but there are about no test reports at all with 3rd party pigment inks. You may consult publications by Wilhelm Research

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

or Aardenburg imaging

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/light-fade-test-results/

(You need to register, but that's free)

There is a test eport for a pigment ink by precisioncolors with a very weak result, below Chromalife100; that ink is not sold anymore , they claim a better performance for the current inks but no inks have been resubmitted for another test. So there might be a reason that no 3rd party supplier of pigment inks is interested that their inks get tested.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I haven't tested the Octoink pigment ink that I use in some of my PGI72 carts. All I can tell is that there's no comparison between the longevity of those inks vs, the third party dye ink (from Arici goup) for my former Pro-9000. I see no visible fading on any of the prints made within the last 3-4 years with my Pro10. Of course there's some degradation and surely I'd see it if I compared with a fresh print made yesterday, but there must be a factor of at least 20-30X in longevity between Octoink pigment for PGI-72 and Arici dye inks for CLI-8 carts.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, @Artur5 , I remember that I tested the dye inks you mention longer time ago, that's the type of inks you can watch how they fade from day to day; they are pretty low priced - and as long as you balance that performance against a low price and you decide for it I think it's o.k. Those inks run probably at 2% to 3% of a OEM dye ink. And then it's easy for a pigment ink - OEM or 3rd party - to excel significantly. And pigment inks are typically not that bad as such poor dye inks but not every 3rd party pigment ink would exceed an OEM dye ink. It's difficult to find reliable information, there is virtually nothing about 3rd party pigment inks, the referenced test reports just show how great the OEM pigment inks are on various printers and papers. I tested a pigment ink longer time ago, and I'm using ink from expired OEM cartridges since a long time, there are many more expired Canon cartridges on Ebay than from Epson for some reason, and I did the same with dye ink cartridges for the Fujifilm Drylab printers before the Epson 106 bottled Ecotank inks became available.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Also, as you said many times, the paper makes a lot of difference too. Those Arici dye inks faded 4 or 5 times faster on Lidl glossy paper than on Epson Pro glossy.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the paper makes a lot of difference too

Yes, that adds another level of complexity and general statements are just of no value; it is quite a common situation - people get lured by the low price - and what do you get with a cheap ink on a cheap paper - the weak performance values get mulitplied.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
model and product numbers vary by business region - the megatank printer running with Chromalife 100 inks is the G620 in the U.S. The other Megatank printers use much inferior inks in comparison.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...nters/all-megatank-inkjet-printers/pixma-g620

It uses the Chromlife 100 inks as specified

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/gi-23-black-ink-bottle

Where did you get this info from - that is completely wrong in this general scope. OEM dye inks perform much better than any 3rd party refill inks - that can be a factor of 5 or 10 or even 20, and OEM pigment inks perform better than dye inks, but there are about no test reports at all with 3rd party pigment inks. You may consult publications by Wilhelm Research

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

or Aardenburg imaging

https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/light-fade-test-results/

(You need to register, but that's free)

There is a test eport for a pigment ink by precisioncolors with a very weak result, below Chromalife100; that ink is not sold anymore , they claim a better performance for the current inks but no inks have been resubmitted for another test. So there might be a reason that no 3rd party supplier of pigment inks is interested that their inks get tested.
i have to say, i am learning quite a bit these last few days. i appreicate all the information/opinions. i like the idea of refilling, for economy, but not at the cost of the best quality/longevity. i will try out the available GI23 inks, and continue to use the OEM carts for other colors. my printer has a low print count, so i would think, it may have a bit of life in it. thanks to all who have responded. i also have some older rolls of HP branded "art paper" from the days of wide format printing. my plan is to profile these, and use them . if they are good, it would offset the cost of OEM inks, so a good thing. i am now retired, and on fised income, this is all hobby for me at this time. so again thanks.