a crazy idea??

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro 9000 mk2 epson wf
as i have a Canon pro 9000 mark 2, and at this time,am not in the position to buy a new printer. even tjhough i would love to have pigment inks, jhow about this. refill carts with pig,ment ink, and then just profile the new inks. i guess the head would not be compatable with the particals in the pig ink, but maybe when i get desperate, i might try. anyway, on my list of crazy ideas.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Wanting to destroy one the few surviving Pro-9000 printheads in the whole world ?. .. go ahead. ;)

If it serves of consolation, we'll attend the funeral for the 'soon-to-be-deceased' printhead.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
To be frank, if my Pro10 died suddenly I wouldn’t buy another wide format printer. A new Pro-300 is expensive and not refilling friendly. Used Pro10s are scarce and always a gamble, unless you travel to the buyer’s place, to check the machine and take it back home. Besides, I’m printing very little nowadays. I can’t justify expending so much on a Pro-300 and, in top of that, having to use OEM carts, because of no safe refill options.

On the other part, selling a Pro-9000 printhead has the problem that many users will trust only reputable known Canon dealers. If a private person puts this printhead on sale, most people will think of it as another ‘new and unused’ Canon printheads from China. The price should be very low in order to sell it. Probably not worthwhile.

@kalides, if I were in your place, I’d continue to print with my Pro9000mkII until the machine or the printhead perish, forgetting pigment inks, at least for the time being,

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
if my Pro10 died suddenly I wouldn’t buy another wide format printer.
What’s wrong with getting a Pro 100 or Pro 10 second hand without seeing the output first.

If you need a good long term printer then that’s all that matters, the print head is secondary, if it’s bad then get a new one, its better if you get a bundle of extra OEM carts with the deal..

I got a second hand Pro 10 and only use it once a months at most but I know it will be good for another 5 years or more, and despite what’s been said before the Pro 9500 was a better user friendlier printer than the Pro 10, less snags and issues to deal with when something goes wrong..

P.S. I can’t see any difference in the output of either machine.. Might have something to with using the same ink..:)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Same ink ?.. Same chroma optimizer on both machines ? :p
I only would purchase an used printer in case I knew and trusted the seller, but then there's still the huge problem of transportation. You were lucky that your Pro10 arrived safe and sound from the continent, but this is a gamble. DHL, UPS, Fedex, you name it. None of them are to be trusted at all concerning the proper care for the merchandise.
If my Pro-10s printhead fails, I have a spare new one, no big deal, but if it's the machine that perishes, then no more A3 printers for me.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
as i have a Canon pro 9000 mark 2, and at this time,am not in the position to buy a new printer. even tjhough i would love to have pigment inks, jhow about this. refill carts with pig,ment ink, and then just profile the new inks. i guess the head would not be compatable with the particals in the pig ink, but maybe when i get desperate, i might try. anyway, on my list of crazy ideas.
What @Artur5 said ^^^^^

I'm thinking that maybe part of you secretly wants to kill it so you can justify buying a new pigment printer :duc

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
i have some OEM inks, i had started refilling (presicion inks) but will stick to the OEMs and as i have not beenm printing much, they will likely last a long time. it is just the fading of the prints that bothers me. i guess i would not be refilling with pigments, i t was just a thought, not something that i thought would really work... but thanks for the diverse responces.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
If longevity/fading of your prints is your concern you may substitute some inks with the Chromalife dye inks for the G550/650 Megatank printers which come much cheaper than original cartridges, this applies for C M Y red photo-black , you can give it a try to mix green from yellow and Cyan 1:1 and continue with original inks for the photo colors light cyan and light magenta. These bottled Chromalife 100 inks got tested several times by @maximilian59 and myself, these are the best bottled dye inks you can get.

kalides

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
If longevity/fading of your prints is your concern you may substitute some inks with the Chromalife dye inks for the G550/650 Megatank printers which come much cheaper than original cartridges, this applies for C M Y red photo-black , you can give it a try to mix green from yellow and Cyan 1:1 and continue with original inks for the photo colors light cyan and light magenta. These bottled Chromalife 100 inks got tested several times by @maximilian59 and myself, these are the best bottled dye inks you can get.
i will look at those inks that sounds like a good idea. i guess there is no substute for the PM and the PC? thanks