A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

juanmata

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Roland VS-640i, Epson T5200
Heres the profile using the command above. I had to zip it as it wouldn't let me post a .icc profile.

I'm no expert in icc profiles so how do I check if this is a good one or not?

juanmata

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Roland VS-640i, Epson T5200
Sorry, here it is

Attachments

• expert_target.icc.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 463

UtenteMac

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
You can just make your own target using the targen command. Despite the extra colors introduced by the stretching, the resulting reading doesn't have any effects on the produced profiles. Many have used my target and the results are really good.
Hello pharmacist, or anyone else :)
I've recently re-profiled many of my papers with good results based on your CAP480 file (adapting the very same Argyll commands for macOS) on page 1.
Reading all the pages in this very thread I've found a post where you provide .ti1, .ti2, and a TIFF chart, for very good results.
I've locally rebuilt a chart with the same colors (slightly different layout for the patches), and the resulting profile is excellent, a tad better than the one I built with the generic Argyll commands.

For your experience, should I just follow the CAP480 Argyll commands (eventually providing a preconditioning profile when available), or are those specific .ti1/.ti2 files you attached the ones to use for best results?

Please let me me know if you need more details.
Thank you in advance.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You can actually stick with the CAP480 files. For most printers this is mostly enough to get even beter profiles than using the Colormunki method + 2 extra optimizations. However: if you rebuild a the chart, the system will create new specific .ti1 and ti2 files: all tight together as a set, so take this into account. The files I provided several years ago, should be considered as a set.

UtenteMac

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
You can actually stick with the CAP480 files. For most printers this is mostly enough to get even beter profiles than using the Colormunki method + 2 extra optimizations. However: if you rebuild a the chart, the system will create new specific .ti1 and ti2 files: all tight together as a set, so take this into account. The files I provided several years ago, should be considered as a set.
Thank you Pharmacist, so I try to be more direct with the question because it's still not totally clear to me, sorry about that, my fault. :)
I'm fine with sticking on 480 patches on a single A4, and I'm well aware on the concept of the chained .ti1/.ti2/.ti3 files.

Having said that, is there any striking difference between...
  • Creating a new chart from the CAP480 .bat file with -no- preconditioning profile provided
  • Creating a new chart from the CAP480 .bat file with a preconditioning file provided (manufacturer's or a similar paper)
  • Print the chart from the specific set of .ti1/.ti2 you provided a few pages ago
...?

In other words, it the latest set of .ti1/.ti2 (provided a few pages back) just a sample of the CAP480.bat command (to save time), which could result in different colors in future Argyll upgrades, or are 480 those patches (sort of) hand picked for specific better results?

Thank you in advance.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually you try, but I think the improvement will be marginally better if not indistiguishable compared to using a preconditioning profile. The reason is that most printers are pretty linear, especially when using good quality refill ink or original ink.

barephone

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805
Hello everyone
I don't have A4 photo paper,only have 12×8 inch photo paper( 21 x 31.1cm)
the 480 bat I notice this line
printtarg -v -ii1 -a1.05 -A0.6 -T300 -R21 -m2 -P -p210x297 %pcn2%
If I want to mod it for my 12x8 inch photo paper
change -p210x297 %pcn2% to -p210x311 %pcn2% right?
Or need to change other line?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
f I want to mod it for my 12x8 inch photo paper
change -p210x297 %pcn2% to -p210x311 %pcn2% right?
I don’t know if your line change idea will work, but you should get the size right first, this might be better203 x 305 mm..

barephone

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L805
我不知道您的換線想法是否會奏效,但是您應該先正確選擇尺寸,這可能會更好一些203 x 305毫米。
I don’t know if your line change idea will work, but you should get the size right first, this might be better203 x 305 mm..
Hi, my 12x8 paper is the customize size ,so the right size is 210x331,not 12x2.54 8x2.54cm.
And I notice the 480 targen width is 8mm, lenth is 10mm,after I print it by Adobe Color Printer Utility.
Can I use photoshop resize width 8mm to 10mm or more?

Latest posts