A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Perhaps Graeme reads Printer Knowledge! :)

The read errors are clearly displayed if you make a mistake with any of the various patch sizes and you have to be more precise when reading the high density. The patch sizes vary between 10mm square with 480 and 7mm square with the most dense 957, so far, after cropping and resizing. I use a thin but opaque, matt black strip mask, with a slot 6.5mm wide for all patch reading, so with care (adjusting speed as appropriate) the ColorMunki appears (from the results) to know no difference and the resulting profiles appear repeatable (post #155 for example).

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Perhaps Graeme reads Printer Knowledge! :)

The read errors are clearly displayed if you make a mistake with any of the various patch sizes and you have to be more precise when reading the high density. The patch sizes vary between 10mm square with 480 and 7mm square with the most dense 957, so far, after cropping and resizing. I use a thin but opaque, matt black strip mask, with a slot 6.5mm wide for all patch reading, so with care (adjusting speed as appropriate) the ColorMunki appears (from the results) to know no difference and the resulting profiles appear repeatable (post #155 for example).

Hi @Emulator, we will expect a Youtube video for the wrapping up to see how you have done esp. with all the tools you are using :) And if possible, Agyll + DispcalGUI to calibrate monitor.

I used the 'CAP480.bat' file, and after option 1 and 2, I got 3 files 09-05-2014-targen480 .ti1, .ti2, .tiff', I checked my .tiff and noticed the file size is much smaller as 3.15MB, and the patches are also smaller comparing to one in the thread which is 4.14MB; did I miss sth? Or can I just use the .tiff file from here in this thread?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 09-05-2014-targen480.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 371
Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1914&Action=support&SupportID=5583

The "minimum" patch size for the i1Pro2 which halved what was required on the i1Pro is as noted above. From that you can extrapolate what the i1Pro required and arrive at what the author of Argyll has suggested. Hmmm...the 7mm was a breakthrough for the top of the line brand new model i1Pro2. I really would find it hard to believe that the Colormunki could use the same patch sizes as the i1Pro2!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi @Emulator, we will expect a Youtube video for the wrapping up to see how you have done esp. with all the tools you are using :) And if possible, Agyll + DispcalGUI to calibrate monitor.

I used the 'CAP480.bat' file, and after option 1 and 2, I got 3 files 09-05-2014-targen480 .ti1, .ti2, .tiff', I checked my .tiff and noticed the file size is much smaller as 3.15MB, and the patches are also smaller comparing to one in the thread which is 4.14MB; did I miss sth? Or can I just use the .tiff file from here in this thread?

Thanks in advance.

The 480 .tif file would normally be around 11 or 12 MB after cropping and resizing to fill the A4 sheet. The finished .icm profile size is about 1.44MB.

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
The "minimum" patch size for the i1Pro2 which halved what was required on the i1Pro is as noted above. From that you can extrapolate what the i1Pro required and arrive at what the author of Argyll has suggested. Hmmm...the 7mm was a breakthrough for the top of the line brand new model i1Pro2. I really would find it hard to believe that the Colormunki could use the same patch sizes as the i1Pro2!
For the record, the targets that are used for the original i1Pro have 8mm patches and in fact the instrument is perfectly capable of reading 7mm patches with excellent repeatability. However, I do share your concern about making the patches too small. I think new users of Argyll should be aware that if they experience significant numbers of read errors then simply reading the strip again doesn't do much to improve the overall quality of the data. What it does tell you is that the inherent measurement errors are large compared to the pass/fail criteria set in chartread.

I know that emulator has compared profiles with different settings but I would be interested to see comparisons of .ti3 files for repeated measurements of a target with small patches. Just as a reference, if I do two measurements of a chart with 1058 patches I would not expect to see any differences greater than 0.6 dE, with an average difference of about 0.25 dE. I wonder how the CM performs with i1-sized patches? Anyone care to do a comparison using colverify?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
For those interested in how I measure the patches, here are two images of the reader. The outer aperture diameter of the ColorMunki Photo is 7.5mm, measured with a drill shank, it has an inner mask 10mm above the outer aperture, which surrounds the sensor, which one can only visually estimate to be about 5.5mm in diameter. One of the essential features of the reader is the wooden guide which keeps the CM on track. The matt black slot card is glued to the wooden guide, which is itself restrained to move at 90 degrees by the wooden guides. The end stops are adjustable by adding or removing pieces of wood. This adjustment is essential as different patch prints usually have slightly different starting and finishing points and the source of read errors can often be due to not starting or finishing on the white area.

Reader1.jpg Reader2.jpg

Last edited:

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@Emulator, can't believe you have all in set!!! I would pay to have one set of this too if possible.
Can you share your .tiff file because I tried a few times, mine is nowhere close to 4MB and once printed, it's cut off though I didn't scale anything in borderless print?!

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator, can't believe you have all in set!!! I would pay to have one set of this too if possible.
Can you share your .tiff file because I tried a few times, mine is nowhere close to 4MB and once printed, it's cut off though I didn't scale anything in borderless print?!

I believe the .tif file size limit on PrinterKnowledge is 1 MB, so I'm afraid you will have to try again and create your own, there should be no problem. You can see how it should look in Post#166.

The reading frame is made of plywood, balsa wood, card and glue. It takes patience and care, to achieve the necessary precision, but should be within the capabilities of anyone.

Last edited:

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I believe the .tif file size limit on PrinterKnowledge is 1 MB
I don't know how other programs handle .tif files, but in PS you can select "LZW" to get lossless compression instead of the default "None". My I1 .tif test charts are 720x504 pixels and 1.07 Mb without compression. Their size is reduced to 0.070 Mb with LZW compression.
tiff_save.jpg

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, thanks Grandad35, I could also use .jpeg as well, I don't think there is a real need for such a file size, to produce a usable target print, but unless sampheap sorts out his file creation problem the method of creating profiles is useless. It is highly likely that the .ti1 and .ti2 files are corrupted as well, so he will be unable to make use of the print file, even if he has it.

I think he needs to describe the process and equipment he is using to allow us to assess where the fundamental problem may lie.

Latest posts