3D Printed Tesla Model 3 Middle-Console Tray / Charge Adapter & Coin Holder

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I bought a Tesla Model 3 last year (I love it) and it came with a charge adapter that connects to the standard non-Tesla public chargers.

I wanted to have something to hold the adapter (keep it from rolling around) as well as a spring-loaded coin holder (just quarters and dimes), as well as hold my chapstick and small multi-function tool.

I went a fun way with getting the profile of the adapter:
  1. Scanned it on my flatbed scanner
  2. Cleaned up the scan in Photoshop
  3. Imported the scan as an SVG into Tinkercad
  4. Duplicated the item
  5. Made the original about 20% bigger
  6. Turned the duplicate item into a hole and extruded it out
  7. Then built a bunch of other stuff around it, and incorporated part of this project for my previous car: https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/3d-printed-car-tray-coin-dispenser-mazda-6.13293/ :)
STL's are here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4186338

Some pics:

Tesla-model-3-charge-adapter-holder-tinkercad2.jpg

Tesla-model-3-charge-adapter-holder-tinkercad.jpg

Tesla-model-3-charge-adapter-holder-everything2.jpg

Tesla-model-3-charge-adapter-holder-everything.jpg

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great job, Nifty! :thumbsup

How do you like you Tesla???

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
How do you like you Tesla???
I'm not really a "car guy", but I definitely love this car. It was a bit out of my price-range, but for what I wanted out of a new car, it was the best, if not only option that was/had: fully electric, lots of cool tech (especially full adaptive cruise control), fast, charging network, etc.

I'm definitely into cutting-edge technology, and having a car that is constantly updated with new features is pretty amazing!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Cool!

My old neighbor had a Prius. One time he snuck up on me while in electric mode. Never heard him coming. Is the Tesla like that, or, does it create a sound to let people know you are nearby?

I've also heard that acceleration can be phenomenal in electric cars. Head snappers from a standing stop.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Is the Tesla like that, or, does it create a sound to let people know you are nearby?
Yup! SUPER quiet! I bought mine right before the mandate came into effect that new electric cars had to have sound generators through a speaker when you go forward and back:

I've also heard that acceleration can be phenomenal in electric cars. Head snappers from a standing stop.
Yeah, it's actually pretty insane! My super quiet car can beat pretty much every other production car off-the-line. My kids LOVE it and ask me to show it off to their friends when they are in the car.... my girlfriend, not so much. She actually gets nauseous when I stomp on the accelerator.
:hide

I'm often next to these "muscle cars" that make a ton of rumble-noise, and I smile knowing it wouldn't take much effort at all to quietly blow past them ;)