3D Modeling Tutorial - OnShape

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm a HUGE fan of the TeachingTech youtuber, and I really enjoy designing with OnShape.

He's done a BRILLIANT job with his tutorial series that I've been following along with:

Here's the 2nd video in the series where he's creating basic parts. I'm at video 4 and have learned some really awesome skills!

Here's the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGqRUdq5ULsONnjEEPeBxxStEsobDKAtV

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
and I really enjoy designing with OnShape.
@Nifty you seem to change the 3D Design software you use faster than I change Hats..:lol:

I’ve had a detailed look at this guy on the video using OnShape, and he made the task of building a simple tool holder as difficult as it could be..

The OnShape software looks pretty handy and easy to use and it seems to cover most things, but I’m stuck with OPENSCAD and have not bothered learning anything else, and in this guy’s video He reckons OPENSCAD is more difficult to use.. ! (I get stuck if I try)

Yet the only reason I use it, is the complete opposite to his opinion, so someone must have an alternative motive for wanting people to use OnShape, I have yet to find something that doesn’t work on OPENSCAD..

Here’s a tool holder I made a while ago without all the flapping about this guy done..
Tool holder.jpg Click to enlarge..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
@Nifty you seem to change the 3D Design software you use faster than I change Hats..:lol:
Huh, really? I think I've pretty much been with only two (others I've tested for a day or two), but I did Tinkercad for about 3-4 years, and then about a year or so ago started using OnShape.

... of course, maybe you only have two hats? LOL!

Yet the only reason I use it, is the complete opposite to his opinion, so someone must have an alternative motive for wanting people to use OnShape, I have yet to find something that doesn’t work on OPENSCAD.
Wait, am I reading this right? That you think that youtuber has an ulterior motive than to make videos promoting his choice for the best option (for him)?

I hear you, and understand that you really like OPENSCAD, think it's easier for you to use, etc., and I can't debate that since it's your opinion.

... that said, I believe that there are WAY more people that choose parametric programs like Fusion360, OnShape, etc. because it is more powerful and often easier to use.

At least, that's what I've heard from most 3D modelers I've chatted with, and I share that opinion.

Again, not to diminish away from your love on OPENSCAD... I'm glad it's working well for you.

Doctor Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610, Brother L8260CD
Ditto for TeachingTech! Absolutely the best site for 3D printing info! (OK, my opinion. Your mileage may vary)
I think OpenSCAD is awesome but it takes basic programming and software coding skills which fortunately I have. I don't think I would recommend it to anyone else. OpenSCAD is too time consuming for most projects despite the huge library of parts and functions I have accumulated. Just getting started with OnShape but can already whip out most designs faster with it.
I try to avoid strictly online software since these companies can go belly up without warning. Been burned by that too many times. And I refuse to use AutoDesk products (Fusion 360) for a similar reason. AutoDesk has a nasty habit of killing projects and/or changing the licensing and greatly increasing the cost. Been burned by them too many times also.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I dabble every few months at modelling stuff and after trying many of the programs have gone back to Fusion 360. You are correct that they can and do change the licensing sometimes, however, F360 is still free for hobby use and can be renewed each year for free.

Doctor Wizard

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610, Brother L8260CD
You are correct that they can and do change the licensing sometimes, however, F360 is still free for hobby use and can be renewed each year for free.
For now, and that is the problem. AutoDesk is especially bad about this. I had an old, but lifetime license for AutoCAD. Until they snuck some fine print into a policy update and invalidated (sunsetted) my license. Not paying $3500+ for a new one. They came out with their own answer to Vizio. Not great but not terrible either. Didn't make enough money so they killed it, no warning. I have loads of very important files I can no longer open. I used EagleCAD for making PCB's. They bought it and changed the licensing, made it waaayyyy more expensive. Then when no-one wanted to pay those fees, they killed it. Once again. a ton of work I've created and I can no longer open the files. KiCad can convert them but it's far from perfect. Often easier to start over.
And I've seen loads of other companies with online software packages go tits-up overnight without warning.
Finally, my AT&T fiber internet is usually pretty good. But I'm at the back of the neighborhood furthest from their 'router'. Anyone between there and here decides to plant a bush and cut the line, I'm without internet for days. So I try to avoid online-only software. And I save archive copies of installers for my Linux and Windows applications.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Bad expereince for sure.

Onshape is nice, I'm assuming you have an OnShape paid account as the free one does not let you keep your designs private? I don't expect I will ever have a design I need to protect from copying but it's something to think about if you only use a free account.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm really enjoying getting (SLOWLY) slightly better at OnShape. I still very much wish all the years I had put tons of time into learning and getting better at tinkercad I would have put into learning and becoming better at parametric design, specifically onshape.

I recently stumbled on this playlist of tutorials and have been really enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4FdDkwWXT9qz1zlwZjcMxI9EmwTrMctB