1st installment of R3000 Refillable carts video posted by Injectcarts

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi jtoolman,

thanks for the video, but a bit messy with refilling. Mine will arrive tomorrow and I already have my waste ink tank installed and working. Everything is now ready to start to refilll the cartridges and make some pictures and maybe a printing video as well.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Did he do refilling? I thought Ross was just yapping about the system and the video ended before refilling. EDIT: Stupid me! I did not see the little tap with the reat of the 6 videos.

These carts can be initially filled by vacuum. 60mm syringe loaded with 30 ml on ink. Attach to fill hole on cart. Vent plug in place. Pull back on plunger to create vacuum and let go. Repeat as needed. Subsequent refills are done with the syringe and needle directly into the ink hole. It would be very easy for me to machine a little device to short out the terminals on the chip. My R2880 cart I just purchased are initially filled that way.
I'm curious to see how Ross will do this. I wish he was better at shooting video.

bobjoek

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
This looks very promising. I have been waiting somewhat impatiently for a cheaper alternative to Epson inks for my R3000 printer. The initial priming method looks very messy. Jtoolman's vacuum alternative should be much better. I noticed Ross was using one of his cartridges along with Epson cartridges in the printer. To do this and get repeatable results the profiles of his inks have to be a very close match with Epson. I wonder how close his inks match Epson?

Bob

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Yes, Very messy! The fact that he is mouth blowing into the port in order to "Prime"?????? How about a syringe if you must do that. He is a very hands on guy, you can tell by his constantly ink stained hands.

About the inks. As you now there are K3 but they also sell K4???? I am not sure what the difference would be. This is also the case with inks for R2880 R3880. Cone Colors sells a special order ink set for the 2880 and 3880 that has special "HDR" versions of Light Black - Photo Black and Vivid Magenta which are used as replacements to the regular versions included in the regular K3 ink set.

I have a R2880 and I will write to Ross to have him explain the difference between the K3 and K4 sets he offers for these printers.

I have some carts for the R1900 that have a chamber that will NOT fill up with ink unless you either push a syringe through the ink port and suck about an ml of ink out. OR use the vacuum method of filling it up. That method will immediately push ink into that chamber. This should work with the R3000 carts. You might have to do a tiny priming before you install them by popping the check valve but please don't use you mouth!!! LOL

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do I have to use the original Epson cartridges to initialise the printer or could this be done with the refillable cartridges. If I could sell the sealed original epson cartridges this would probably pay me a set of ink and refillable cartridges.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Lothman, you should do this to initialize the printer before installing the refillables. It is recommended by Ross Hardie himself.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If you prime the cartridges properly initial use of the OEMs should not really be necessary. The recommendation of installing the OEM was a necessity in early days of the R260 era because of the way the printer firmware and the V3.0 chips interacted. On my testing, 6.2 version of firmware allows full emulation of the chip.

One aspect is that if the cartridges are not primed properly, then confirmation of the printhead working properly is at issue as any banding upon installation of the refillables will be open to question as to what is causing it. The cartridges or the printer?

Regardless, sale of the OEM carts should only be considered POST warranty period as returning the printer to a service center without the OEM is not a good modus operandi. Additionally, always keep a good OEM set at hand for verification testing and fault testing if that is necessary.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Excellent job, pharmacist. The music was a surprising but soothing addition.

Now that you have escalated the video wars of who has the best production or most awesome music, I am counting on jtoolman or The Hat to add dancing girls to their next video.

BTW, pharmacist, you have a lovely home... from what I can see. :)