Your opinion please?

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Your opinion please?

My previous thread at http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1662 has led me to wanting your opinion dealing with these specific things.

My newest printer is the S800 which was purchased in early February of 2002 from Office Max. It has been through several printheads and needs one now.

The other printer I have on hand is a reconditioned BJC8200 which is also having problems in spite of the installation of a new printhead a couple of weeks ago. (No it is not a version that were have worked in the S800 that was already tried with the old one before it went south.) When first installed I got the best nozzle check in I dont know when. But, after about a week I ran out of one of the cyans (cant think of which one off hand) and after installing a new cart had problems with Photo Magenta in both old and new printhead. Changing PM carts (including a brand new Canon OEM) did not make any difference. Cleaner has been run through both heads. I am inclined to think it is something in the printer rather than the head.

My volume goes up and down depending on what is going on that I photograph. But, compared to what some of you talk of am low. It is enough that I feel that I have benefitted expense wise by refilling.

Would you get another head for the S800? The cost would be close to $80.00. There appear to be some ip6000's from vendors on Amazon but at least twice the cost of a head from Inkcessories. Both would use the BCI-6 tanks and how long are they likely to be available?

The BCI-6's do appear to be the easiest to refill. Which third party virgin empties are preferred by this group? I do plan to be using MIS for my refill ink. The plugs from Alotofthings appear quite interesting but I cant find pricing on their empty carts for Canon BCI-6.

Anything else you think I should consider?

Thanks for your help in advance
Jane

WhiteDog

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Get the ip6000. I bought two from the Amazon source and they are a dream. The microscopic dot resolution is better than my i9900. I posted on this but there is no explanation so far. Because of the large installed base of Canon printers using the BCI-6, there will be lots of oriiginal and clone carts around for a good time to come. Dont' forget that when you get one of these new in the box, you are getting about $80 of ink too, and the Canon carts you can re-use. You have run through rather a lot fo print heads. My i850 head lasted 42 months and 20,000 pages.

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With my newest printer (S800) being darn close to 5 years old decided to get a iP6000D from a seller on e-bay. It arrived last Tuesday and I feel like I am back to what I was getting from the others when they were new.

But, I am still wanting to know what members of this group prefer as a source of empty cartridges for this Canon printer. I think MIS will be a good choice for ink (any disagreement on that?). But, the question is the current preference for a source of a set of empties.

My printing pattern is kinda streaky but seems to be enough that it is worthwhile to refill.

Jane

Xalky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
G&G cartridges seem to be the preferred aftermarket cartridge, but most will agree, OEM canon cartridges are the best for refilling. It has to do with the OEM sponge material being more durable and higher quality.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jane,

Another option. Canon BCI-6 carts are the best for refilling. You could flush the BCI-6 carts from your old S800 using Grandad's Canon BCI-6 cleaning technique.

Mixing cart brands can be tricky/problematic because they are made different and this means they might require different fill techniques, and might require different amounts of pressure to get the ink to flow due to different sponges and air venting.

I had a problem with my i960 print head, cleaning efforts were not successful, bought a new print head. While I was waiting on the new head, I cleaned my Canon BCI-6 OEM carts (a batch of 18) using Grandad's technique. Most of them look like now. I posted some pictures of the carts I cleaned at this link.

Later,
Lilla

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What I had in mind was getting something to start "fresh" while the Canon's that came with the printer are still in use (so that I won't have to stop and fill when something runs down while I am printing something I need now).
Jane

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jane, Lilla is correct. The OEM Canon carts are the best for refilling. I understand your concern for having something on hand, ready to pop in. Try to get some used Canon carts from someone. Somtimes fresh empties are sold on eBay, and sometimes on Yahoo auctions. Check around. It will be worth the effort. If you get some with unsure histories, do the Grandad35 Flush and be sure of a fresh start.

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jane,

Today I posted some pictures of the carts I cleaned at this link. I also added this link to my post #5 above.

Lilla

Jane

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
As I posted in the other thread; is there a known sucessful way to do the drying without a wet vac?
Thanks
Jane

Lilla

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Jane said:
As I posted in the other thread; is there a known sucessful way to do the drying without a wet vac?
Thanks
Jane
Jane, I posted some alternate ideas that other people have used in the other thread, see post #71 at this link.

Lilla