You know you're a printer addict when...

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I'm searching for my first inkjet printer but can't find it, forgot the name..
must be from around 1990, possibly some HP deskjet, or similar.
It was black only for text, a very compact printer. looking like a white brick without the paper sheet feeder, which was attachable from underneath.
Anybody who can help my weak memory..??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the description of the printer also fits my first inkjet printer, a Canon bj10ex or bj10sx, bought used maybe around 1995. The printer was B/W only, using the combined printhead/sponge cartridge BC-01 or BC-02. The printer was intended as a portable printer, so it was compact, and a battery pack and a sheet feeder were optional extras. The printers were available in white and grey. Without the sheet feeder, you fed one sheet of paper to the printer at a time, typewriter style.

Here is a picture of the printer. An interesting detail is that the ink cartridge was not moved by a belt drive but with a lead screw, lathe style. See this image.

The BC-01 cartridge was the first ink cartridge I refilled.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
We are near by but haven't got it..

It was shaped really like a simple rectangular block, light grey.
Estimated (not much bigger than) 30x10x10 for the pure box without paper feed. Some kind of paper cassette feed was attachable from underneath, making the small footprint a little bigger.

Maybe HP or canon, but it could also have been branded/labelled by "vobis highscreen".. like my first laptop from that time (with two floppy disks no HD)

PS: or was it olivetti..?? Just saw an offer in an old vobis catalogue from 1992 ..without pic..

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Finally I found it: Olivetti JP150
First I've found the JP350 which looks very similar to a deskjet but mine was smaller.
Here it is rebranded by "acorn"
http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/content/Acorn-JP-150-inkjet-printer/
..think I bought olivetti for its puristical design ..

Yes it seems I'm a printer addict... because I would like to have kept this out dated device in my already overcrowded printing room...

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You know you are a printer addict if this is the result of your shopping, click to enlarge:

DSCN0583 - a.JPG

The Ajax is a window cleaner with ammonia that works well for print head cleaning. It was a special offer at only DKK 5 or USD 0.78 or EUR 0.67 per 500 ml bottle. I bought the 12 bottles that the shop still had in store. The 10 small bags are Sodium Benzoate, a food preservative that works well for removing ink stains from your hands, and it is milder than special hand cleaners. @pharmacist posted the Sodium Benzoate tip here, and I can confirm the powder works.

Latest posts