The ultimate removing agent for dye stains and nontoxic !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
A few weeks ago a collegue pharmacist of me told me the excellent cleansing agent for dye stains. It was sodium benzoate and first I did not believe him but today I had serious ink stains on my fingers and using my favourite Reduran (from the makers of Stokolan) did not remove these tenacious stains from my fingers. It was Hobbicolors UW-8 Cyan ink and using Reduran makes the cyan looks blue-black, thus even worse. This is an excellent indication of the powerful and strong dyes used in Hobbicolors ink, which is known to be reasonable to good fade-resistent ink. Most cheap refill ink is very easily removed using Reduran, which acts as an powerful reducing agent.

Today I tried to use sodium benzoate granules to remove the stains, since the Reduran was not very successful in its job as dye remover. I was amazed from the result after rubbing the granules on my wet hands and the stains dissappeared completely from my skin......Do not ask how it works......

The great advantage of sodium benzoate that this salt is nontoxic. In fact it is used as a safe preservative in many softdrinks, jams and jellies, sauces and other foodstuffs and in high dosages it works as an expectorant in cough syrups. It can be cheaply obtained at your local pharmacy/drug store, well certainly here in Belgium. Not sure this will apply for those living in the USA.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Found it in local store, 0.5Kg 20$ quite expensive. How much do I need in 1Liter of water?

Molitor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My favorite method of removing ink stains from hands is rubbing a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on them. Takes them right off, even though it says on the box not to use on skin. It's a (microfine) abrasive and it could cause irritation, so use at you own risk.

I use MIS inks, which probably clogs pores worse than other inks... ;)

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile, your link about sodium benzoate and the reaction with ascorbic acid is scientifically rather dubious and often not applicable in normal circumstances (the forming of the highly toxic benzene which causes cancer). And besides: even it could be toxic orally, you will use it externally...I use it in my homebrewed chutneys and jams to prevent the grow of nasty germs and fungus, which can cause even worse damage to your health ;) .

How much do you need from it ? a small flat teaspoon of granules/powder each time on your wet hands and rub it in until it has been completely dissolved and the stains dissappear from your skin. If necessary add a little bit of water to smoothen if your hands become dry before the stains are removed. Just use it as a dry soap powder.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
But dosage for drinks 1Liter requires 0.5grams so the concentration is very low. IF you rub it on your hands without dissolving in water then shouldn’t you get an allergy or worse sooner or later?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile,

It is possible to obtain an allergy from it but this can happen to almost everything like nickel in coins or even peanuts...... The likelilhood of obtaining a serious allergy is very small, since sodium benzoate is generally considered a very safe additive. Some people are allergic to berries which contains sorbic acid, another naturally derived preservative found in many food stuffs.....

Besides sodium benzoate is highly water soluble and a tiny amount of water is enough to dissolve a relative large amount of it completely. Half a teaspoon of it will dissolve completely on your wet hands.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried to clean my hands with high pH water, works very good too even without soap :) And does not contain any chemicals.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile, high pH water is actually very caustic (sodium hydroxide ?) and works as an abrasive. Be careful...It contains quite aggresive chemicals (strong caustic agent like sodium/potassium hydroxide or carbonate).

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
pharmacist said:
Smile, high pH water is actually very caustic (sodium hydroxide ?) and works as an abrasive. Be careful...It contains quite aggresive chemicals (strong caustic agent like sodium/potassium hydroxide or carbonate).
The water was "changed" using electrolysis, not with chemicals. It's very good for the plants too :) They grow like crazy.
I have a special device for it it has 2 electrodes (1 metal other carbon) and it fits inside a jar that is separated on the middle.
Near the metal electrode you get high ph (12) water and on the other side you get acidic water that I don't use for anything.
It takes up to 15 or 20 minutes to prepare about 1.5Liter of the water.