You know you're a printer addict when...

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Just keeping this thread alive. Don't think there so many of us printer addicts still "Alive" but it has been wonderful, for so many years, defeating the corporate printer manufacturers trying to prevent us from circumventing the exhortionate prices of OEM cartridges. I've loved my time on this forum, discussing printhead failures and refilling procedures. Having had experience of early Epson printers and lattely Brother printers, I stand firmly in favour of Canon printers. However, Canon printers still suffer from printhead failures like other printers. For me the Canon Ip4000 printer will always be my favourite. I am still running a couple of IP4850 printers, an ip4700, two Mg6250s, an ix6850 and 3 TS750 printers. I have had 3 IP7250 printers which turned out to be just junk. Not just the usual printhead failures but other problems like feeding and PSU failures.
IMO opinion the most robust basic printer I have owned is the TS700 series. No resetter available and no arc carts are available but you can purchase refillable carts .Just printed a nozzle check print out 6107 pages. All perfect.
Refillable carts are more expensive than the usual but they are well worth it.
If you don't want to go down the Pro route, get the Canon TS 700 printer and purchase refillable carts on EBay

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
"You know you're a printer addict when..."

... you're still active on this forum!

In truth though I did actually wonder if Inkjet printers would have been effectively an afterthought long before now but Covid, home schooling, remote working, etc... somehow we're still here. :frow:old

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have had 3 IP7250 printers which turned out to be just junk.
I've had an iP7250, MG5550 and a couple more of printers of the PGI-550/CLI-551 and PGI-570/CLI-571 cartridge generations. I agree with you that these are not quite the same build quality as older models to say it politely. IMO they are clumsy, flimsy and noisy and the printheads seem to be more fragile than those used in the older models.

At a thrift store I bought a TS6150 a couple of years ago. It was only DKK 25 or 3.50€ or $. It had no ink cartridges, but I thought I could buy some cheap compatible PGI-580/CLI-581 cartridges to test it. Compatible cartridges were available, but certainly not cheaply. I didn't buy any cartridges but at power up the printer behaved normally with an error message about missing cartridges, The printer is compact and seems to be much more sturdily built than the PGI-550/CLI-551 generation printers. I think the TS700 is similar and also high build quality.

Maybe Canon found out that the iP7200 series and same generation printers were a mistake, no rear paper feed and "Too much plastic and too little steel" build quality.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Not even spammers seem to be around lately.. or is it that our spam-control-police is doing a great job ?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Not many of us left..:frow

A surviver here.
PRO-10 and 9500II still going strong with plenty of ink (paper and printheads) hoarded.
My best inks (OEM large format) are for the PRO-10.
The 9500 is for office work with leftovers from all the 3th party inks I ever tried ;).
Best refillable printers ever made IMO.

On the contrary the Maxify is rather difficult to maintain and refill.

PS: did you see the plethora of mini smartphone printers ?
Turning of the tide maybe.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The 9500 is for office work with leftovers from all the 3th party inks I ever tried ;).
Best refillable printers ever made IMO.
I totally agree, I’ve had the Pro 9500 for over 13 years and it’s still going, in the early days it was difficult to refill using the old methods, like drilling a hole in the bottom of the carts, but the learning curve changed all that..

Now they are the easiest cartridges to fill and maintain by far, mine will go on till I lose the print head, and that will be a very sad day, I’ve owned some great printers and in my estimation the Pro 9500 is the best by far..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
"You know you're a printer addict when..."

you are reading the latest postings on printerknowledge before you look into the newspaper