would a color profile help ? - i don't ask her why, i just refill....

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
would a color profile help ?

have a 6+ year old MP830, refilled w OCP ink, for the most part just print TEXT. well.... as of last week my wife has decided she'd like to print full page 8.5 x 11 color prints, must have printed 100+ in the past few days.

arghh.....i don't ask, i just refill....

using:
- MP830
- OCP inks
- Canon Photo Paper Glossy

selecting:
- Media: "Photo Paper Plus Glossy"
- Quality: High
- Color Intensity: Auto

most colors look great, match the monitor, etc, except the pinks come out less pink and more red

would it help to set up or find a profile ? if so any tips on that or anything else to try ?

i don't even bother to put my squeeze bottles away, been refilling daily, again easier to refill than to ask....

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Yes a profile would be nice but sounds as though you are not too far out. One thing to try is just try selecting a different paper like other paper. I would try the same picture on about 6 different paper types say on 6x4 and see what that produces.

Alternatively you can go into advanced printer settings and try tweeking the sliders say increasing magenta a little

My MP620 gives pretty good prints my monitor is set using a free app. quickgamma, I usually have it set on 2.2 but you can easily fine tune the settings

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi jimbo123

When tweaking the colour settings, I think this printer evaluation image will be helpful: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html and here is an instruction for use: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

IIRC I read somewhere on the forum that OCP inks needed profiling to print good photos. Have you tried if Hobbicolors give better photos? I have very good experiences with a Pixma 5200 with IS inks and both Canon OEM paper and the Sihl paper that is very popular in Europe. Colour match is very close to Canon OEM inks, without tweaking. So maybe it is worth giving the IS inks a try, link here: http://www.precisioncolors.com/c5bbulk.html

AFAIK you cannot use profiles with your MP830 without Photoshop or other expensive software, so if your manual tweaking of the colour settings is unsuccessful then I recommend trying the IS CLI-8 inkset. I am very satisfied with the results with my Pixma 5200.

wcandrews@sccoast.net

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There is no question about if. Printer profiles will make a great improvement in your prints if combined with using a calibrated monitor. Color management starts with a calibrated and profiled monitor. Hardware solutions to monitor and printer profiles are the best. ColorMunki is one very good solution.

You can use Qimage to do your printing, and it allows using profiles. It's very inexpensive, about $80. It is used by many professionals and produces excellent results. The interface is a challenge for many, but can be mastered.

Good Luck!
Wil