Workforce 1100 combination dye/pigment?

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
After dealing with various issues that have kept me from maintaining my printers (worried about the 1400 w/pigment sitting for 5 months now...) I want to try to get the Workforce 1100 up and running. Has anyone tried using this one with black pigment and dye color (like HP printers) together? If so, which inks did you use?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I would suggest using a standard matte pigment black (type: Epson Durabrite Black or Epson K2/K3 matte black) and for the colours CMY an Epson compatible dye ink (type: Epson Claria). But the Workforce 1100 is a dedicated pigment printer, so using pigment in all channels should be OK.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
The only thing I like about the 1100 is the speed of printing. Even with refills, it's relatively expensive to run it as pigment, but I like to have black/text printing as pigment, so I was thinking of using dye for the colors instead which seems to be the compromise HP came up with ages ago (not that dye OEM cartridges are any cheaper).

I'm also hoping if I switch it to dye with a profile, it will expand the color gamut. I'm still not sure if the issue is my refill inks or the printer itself (I haven't used the OEM inks for the 1100, but I used the C88+ with OEM inks and it also had a terrible color gamut for cyan/blue so I suspect it's the hue of the OEM inks that limits the gamut)

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
had the B1100 for two weeks and ditched it ... I am quite happy with my WF-7015 it even faster

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
@Fenrir:
The only issues I can think you might hit would be colour bleed between the dye inks and the need to really flush through a fair amount of dye to remove any lingering pigment in the CMY nozzles.

No idea on colours, but can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work as you've suggested.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I'll have find someone who has dye inks for this then.

Killing me to toss the ink left over from the CIS but I don't want to have to buy new empty carts when I run out of pigment inks.